Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

DH has begun his journal 'home'

Lills
Lills Member Posts: 156
Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Care Reactions

My Dean Howard (DH!) died early this morning.  I was by his side.  I wish I could say it was a peaceful death but he was in much pain.  Prior to his death, I've not liked the phrase, "He's in a better place" but in this case, it's true.  Last night while holding his hand, I told him he'll be singing with the angels soon (He was a life-long choir member), and it's ok to go 'home' to see his parents. 

His long, long illness went through so many stages throughout the 12+ year illness.  Even though each stage brought on new challenges, he continued to be happy.  Never once in our 46 years of marriage did he ever raise his voice to me.  He was a staunch Catholic who never out-grew the image of an altar boy!  I rarely swore..but he never did!  

I will miss him dearly.

Thank you to all who shared our journey.  

Lills

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Lills, I'm sorry for your loss, and I'm so sorry it wasn't easier for him. But his pain is now over, and that's something to be happy about for him. That was an awful long journey for both of you. I hope you can find peace and comfort in the coming days.
  • mrl
    mrl Member Posts: 166
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes

Dear Lills,

God Bless you. May your DH enjoy everything God has prepared for him.

Sincerely,

Michele

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,364
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes
    I'm so sorry Lills.

HB
  • A. Marie
    A. Marie Member Posts: 118
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    I'm so sorry--sorry for your loss, and sorry that the process was so hard for him. But he is at peace now, and I hope that you will be at peace too in time. Namaste.
  • ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

(((Lills))),

My deepest sympathies on the passing of your beloved husband. What a long love and life together, before this tragic disease. You have been an amazing wife and caregiver. Your insights and encouragement have helped me too many times to count. Sending you sincerest wishes and prayers that Stage 8 will bring you peace, in time

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Kills, I’m so sorry for your loss. I too have learned a lot from you, thank you. I pray that you find peace God grant you strength in the coming days and weeks.
  • June45
    June45 Member Posts: 365
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions
    (((Lills)))
  • Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Dearest Lills, I am so very sorry. My heart goes out to you at such a heartrending loss.  May peace and solace soon come to you with knowledge that you loved greatly and went the distance and thensome.

J.

• Bob in LW
    Bob in LW Member Posts: 91
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions
    I am so sorry for your loss.  I know that you have many fond memories of him which will be with you forever.
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Lillis sorry for your loss. I will keep you in my prayers.
  • jmlarue
    jmlarue Member Posts: 511
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes
    May the love that abides and the precious memories of your life together strengthen you and sustain you in the days ahead.
  • 60 falcon
    60 falcon Member Posts: 201
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes
    I'm sorry Lills.
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,722
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Condolences Lills,  Peace to you.
  • ladyzetta
    ladyzetta Member Posts: 1,028
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Dear Lills,

Peace be with you. You will be in my prayers. DH was at peace with you by his side. 

Hugs Zetta 

• John1965
    John1965 Member Posts: 104
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Comments
    I’m simultaneously sorry and happy for you.  Sorry for a huge loss. Happy for the end of his misery and your chance of a bit more freedom and happiness. Words fail. I hope you understand what I’m trying to say.
  • Cherjer
    Cherjer Member Posts: 227
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes

I am so very sorry,,,you have given me inspiration on keeping your DH home...please know that your love has been leeping us all going...God welcomes him into heaven! Love you my dear friend in this difficult journey.

• Pat6177
    Pat6177 Member Posts: 442
    100 Likes Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions
    Lills, my deepest sympathies. May your memories comfort you. Take care.
  • Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,678
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Lills I am so very sorry for your loss of Dear Dean.
  • LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Dear Lills.

I am so sorry for the loss of your husband Dean Howard. I wish I could wrap my arms around you with a warm and heart felt hug. You have been on such a long journey. Both you and Dean are indeed Alzheimer's Warriors. You have been an inspiration to me on so many difficult days, when I was encountering challenges I felt I could not endure.

May God watch over you and your loved ones. May He comfort you and give you strength. May He grant you peace.

With love and tremendous gratitude,

LT

• abc123
    abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    Dear Lills, I am very sorry for the loss of your husband. You are in my thoughts and prayers.
  • amicrazytoo
    amicrazytoo Member Posts: 169
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments
    So sorry for your loss. Sending (((HUGS)))
  • Marie58
    Marie58 Member Posts: 382
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments
    Lills, so sorry for the loss of your beloved Dean. You both fought the good fight. May the Lord bless you and your family in this next stage.
  • piozam13
    piozam13 Member Posts: 72
    Third Anniversary 10 Comments
    I'm sorry for your loss.  Please turn your attention to yourself.  Take care - grieving is a long journey.  Reach out - I'm here for you.
  • ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,013
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions
    Lills , I am so sorry about the loss of your dear husband. If his passing wasn’t easy, it was at least a blessing that you could be there by his side to help him pass and comfort him.
  • Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    Heartfelt condolences on your husband’s passing.  His suffering is over; now it is time for you to heal.   May you find peace and comfort in the weeks and months ahead.
  • White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 851
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

Dear Lills, I am so sorry and am holding you in prayers.  Sending love and hugs.

Brenda

• Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Dear Lills,

I am so sorry to learn of the loss of your husband. It took me by surprise, and saddened me. I always admired you for your perseverance in caring for him at home. It sounds as though the two of you made a great couple.  

I always think of you at Christmas time, when I see the neighbors Christmas lights out my window. I remember that your neighbor left Christmas lights burning at night so your husband could see them from his bed. How sweet and kind.  And I always chuckle when I think about your post describing your DH leaving for a walk, wearing his bathrobe, winter boots, a winter hat and gloves.  I hope these memories of happier times will give you peace and sustain you. 

Take care of yourself. I am thinking and praying for both of you. 

• Lynne D
    Lynne D Member Posts: 276
    100 Comments Second Anniversary
    Wishing you both peace. I am sorry for your loss.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more