Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Symptoms of low blood sugar

Ed1937
Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I just wanted to post this because there was discussion on symptoms of low blood sugar, and my symptoms are not like described.

My problem is low blood sugar, although it is pretty well controlled now. My first symptoms were double vision, and I had no idea what caused that. This happened several times when I was driving, but I found that if I closed one eye, the double vision disappeared. I did not know I might pass out, so I drove a short distance home . I saw an ophthalmologist, and they found nothing wrong. This was my only symptom for several years, but it did not happen often, and the cause was unknown to me. Then in Dec. 2020, I was standing, talking to one of our sons, and I felt shaky/anxious, and had a problem with speech. I did not pass out, but I don't remember going into the living room to sit on the sofa. Ambulance was called, but I had something to eat, and by the time the EMTs got here, I was feeling better, and refused a ride to the hospital. 

The next morning I thought I should go to the hospital, and I spent three days there. They found nothing wrong, and sent me home, even though three times when they drew blood, my glucose level was low (in the mid fifties). They never mentioned it. One of our daughters was looking at my records, and noted that my sugar was low. I made an appointment with an endocrinologist, and he diagnosed me as hypoglycemic in one day.

My blood sugar has been low many times, but my only symptoms were feeling shaky/anxious, and only once confused since taking medication for low blood sugar. I often feel the same way when stressed from caregiving, so it is not clear whether symptoms are due to low blood sugar or stress, without testing. Doc said that was due to adrenaline.  The lowest my blood sugar reading was, as far as I know, around 46 or 47. Now it is rarely low, and never in the forties.

Comments

• jmlarue
    jmlarue Member Posts: 511
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes

Symptoms of low blood sugar can vary by individual and blood sugar reading. Feeling shaky, sweating, nausea, blurred vision, angry agitation, feeling/acting drunk, going silent and staring into space, seizures, eventually becoming unconscious/unresponsive. These are all symptoms along the way to a critically low blood sugar, Most folks can recognize the early signs of going low, once they know what to look out for. But, as the blood sugar drops, the brain becomes too confused to take the necessary action to correct it. Some folks never have an awareness of their early symptoms, but people around them will. That's the reason why diabetics and hypoglycemics are encouraged to wear a medical alert bracelet. The stories are legion about these folks found driving erratically or wandering aimlessly and being taken into police custody, suspected of being drunk. Personally, I fear going low while sleeping. Sometimes I will wake up in time to get help. Not always. At those times the liver will be triggered to release emergency stores of glucose to sustain us. On waking, I'll know I've had a low sugar because pajamas and sheets will be soaked in sweat and I feel exhausted.

Here's a critical thing to know about repeated low blood sugars - it damages the brain. Uncontrolled diabetics and hypoglycemics often develop signs of dementia late in life.

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    I'll share how I found I have low blood sugar problems. I worked in a factory as a maintenance supervisor. I had a young man working in the crew who was diabetic. He came up to one day and asked if I had ever had my blood sugar checked, I asked why? He said everyday you go from doctor jekyll to Mr Hyde. He offered to give me a machine to check my sugar level. Sure enough every day about 9 or so when I felt the bad, I would check and it would be in the 50's. Before this I had notice alot that would feel weak and would get a coffee dose it with sugar and cool it off so I could drink it down quick. In 5 minutes I would feel ready to go. I will never forget that young man for his insight. All that time I had no idea except that I would get people upset. Now I carry glucosamine tablets.I went to doctor and got tested it showed nothing. But it continues to this day. I changed how I eat and that has helped.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more