Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

My essay on navigating the overwhelming journey of caring for someone with ALZ was published. Please

I lost my father after an incredibly long battle with Alzheimer's about 15 months ago.

Wanting to help others finding themselves in the same horrible situation, I wrote an essay about the experience, which was recently published.

I wrote it not only to tell my story, but to provide insight, guidance, resources, and to offer a glimpse into how Alzheimer’s can affect not only those afflicted with the disease, but — almost more importantly — their loved ones, because it is they who bear the deepest burden and suffering. 

Above all, I wrote it to help people navigate the devastating and overwhelming journey of caring for a loved one with Alzheimer's. 

Here is a quote from Greg O'Brien, author of On Pluto: Inside the Mind of Alzheimer's:

"Excellent piece, Darren. Excellent! Hoping as many people as possible will read your words. You have great insight, a gift the world needs to hear."

I hope you will read the essay and hope that it helps you. And please feel free to share it in any capacity.

Thank you and all the best,

Darren Keith

THE ESSAY (click on the link below): 

https://medium.com/@contactdarrenkeith/living-with-alzheimers-efccf45e410b

Comments

• CStrope
    CStrope Member Posts: 487
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Darren, thanks for sharing this with us.  You certainly noted what we all feel and deal with.

The day my father was diagnosed, we left the hospital with almost no guidance on how to proceed or navigate the treacherous waters into which we were thrown, nor were we made aware of the countless ways in which our lives were about to change. I consider it a great failing of the healthcare system. In that most crucial, vulnerable, and desperate of moments, we were sent home completely in the dark about what to expect, prepare for, how to care for and protect my father and those around him, and where to seek help. 

This is exactly how I felt.  I started researching and reaching out through the internet, trying to find answers, yet feeling like there were none.  Even now, dealing with my DH having Alzheimer's feels so isolating.  I live in a very small rural town so resources are limited, friends are few, and family is far away. My explanation to people when they do ask how things are going is that I live in a world of grey, no show of emotions either good or bad.  That's the only way to keep DH from being upset.

I will definitely keep your essay to read again and again.  Thanks again for sharing

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Darren, thank you for a great read. I'm sorry you had to endure that with your father. I wish you the best moving forward.

FWIW, the link to the financial aspect (thesimpledollar.com) is a dead link.

• Buggsroo
    Buggsroo Member Posts: 573
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Darren

That piece was sad, illuminating and much needed. My husband will say I love you out of the blue, for a second we are back in the good times, but then it’s gone. Those moments, fleeting, are a form of torture. It makes me aware of what I have lost. Thank you again.

• Davegrant
    Davegrant Member Posts: 203
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Darren, 

Powerful article and reading it brought tears to my eyes as I resonated with many of your experiences.  I have been on this journey with my DW for five years and assess that we are going through the moderate stage. I appreciated your sharing of your journey and yes, it does help me in my journey of acceptance and activities. I am in the process of planning with an attorney the next step in the case that I am not available to provide the care my wife needs and how that will be handled. I early on discovered the strengths of the on-line supports systems like alz.org and have tried my best to follow their guidance even though I may not have understood them at the time. The support has proven itself to be true. 

I hope your writings are helping you and I may try to do the same in the future whether that is a few months or a few years. Such is our planning ability due to this disease. 

Dave

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney