Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

wants to see a doctor

Colt99
Colt99 Member Posts: 25
Third Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

New to posting here but I have absorbed so much information on this site over the last year.

Quick background – MCI diagnosis 2016, Dementia/Alzheimer’s 2021. The dementia diagnosis was difficult because DW is generally very healthy and convinced nothing wrong and no need to see a doctor.

Current situation – needs help with all daily activities such as dressing, bathes infrequently, still continent, does not wander. She becomes very upset/agitated that I need to help her dress. Now she “realizes” she has a problem and is convinced a doctor can help fix this. She does not remember the dementia diagnosis. I am not sure whether to explain her condition or go along with setting up an appointment with her PCP and hope she forgets about it. She has held on to this idea for several weeks now.

Appreciate all the wisdom on this site. This truly is a horrible disease.

Comments

• Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

My wife takes Aricept and Namenda for Alzheimer's.  Her PCP prescribes them, and two neurologists said they were the best treatment available.  They seem to improve function, although they do not extend her life or otherwise alter the ultimate outcome.  If your wife hasn't tried those meds, you might consider them.

Some people report side effects from the meds, and they don't help everybody, but I think they help DW.  Good luck.

• Scooterr
    Scooterr Member Posts: 168
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes

Colt99 I think if it was me (my opinion only) I would just go ahead and set up appointment with your PCP maybe this will give you both some relief. If you feel the need to explain her condition to her I definitely think your PCP could be a big help in this area. Sometimes when I try to explain something to my wife it doesn't come through the way it should have. On the other hand when someone else explains the same situation to her it's seems to work better, simply because it's a different point of view.

Don't know what med's your DW is taking. Like Stuck in the middle  had mentioned Aricept and Namenda seems to be the go to med's. My DW is taking them also. Something to speak about with your PCP. (again just my opinion)

Good Luck 

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,406
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

My mom was on a rivastegmine ( Exelon) patch similar to the medications mentioned in the reply above. PCP discontinued it in January as her part D wouldn’t cover it.  It might help with sone her anxiety - I’ve noticed an increase in anxiety in my mom since she stopped taking it.  I’m going to ask her neurologist at next week’s appointment one of the  other choices would work for her.  

If your spouse is not on an anti anxiety and anti depression medication, you might ask her doctor for one. Or if it should be increased is she is on one. 

My mom understands  she has issues.  We went to the doctor often in 2020 and the  first half of  2021 during the pandemic. She was sure the doctor would be able to fix things.  She has forgotten the doctor mentioned dementia( or chooses  to ignore it) and still expresses hope  that this  is all temporary.  However it’s now mentioned as ‘I’m not sure if I will ever get back to normal the  longer this goes on’.    

• Rick4407
    Rick4407 Member Posts: 241
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions
    If dressing is the biggest issue, I suggest you revise her wardrobe to sweats and tee shirts.  Unused items, fancy shoes, lingerie, skirts, blouses are all gone here.   Nice slip on bedroom slippers and white athletic socks is the current fashion statement.  When she gets to "depends", just throw her regular underwear away, it avoids conflict.  She will chose from what's available and she see's.   Sorry, Rick
  • Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Colt99 wrote:

Quick background – MCI diagnosis 2016, Dementia/Alzheimer’s 2021. The dementia diagnosis was difficult because DW is generally very healthy and convinced nothing wrong and no need to see a doctor.

This is anosognosia.  You will have to learn work-arounds from the members.

Iris L.

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

I agree with the meds others mentioned, my DH has take’s those and his psychiatrist just increased them, he also takes antidepressants and one for panic attacks.  You also need to read what Iris said. Look it up because it will save you a lot of heart ache. I have and will not mention the word Alzheimer’s or dementia to him. What would it change and why cause him more pain? It would not change anything. 

Best of luck to you. 

• Colt99
    Colt99 Member Posts: 25
    Third Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

Thanks for the feedback.

I think I will take advantage of her willingness to see her PCP. She usually resists. I just don’t want to confront her with the hard fact that she has dementia. She is looking for a silver bullet.

The only medication she takes is Seroquel at night – and I believe it has been a game changer. Calming and she sleeps through the night.  We have never seen a psychiatrist. The University neurologist who gave us the diagnosis advised against Aricept at that time but I don’t remember his rational.

Anyway, I think I will have enough questions for the PCP to get through the dressing frustration/agitation.

Wish us luck.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney