Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

faster slide downhill

Paul&Me
Paul&Me Member Posts: 21
Seventh Anniversary 10 Comments

My husband first noticed his symptoms 12 years ago. 6 years ago he was considered moderate-to-severe, and a lumbar puncture diagnosed Alzheimer's.

Just last summer we had a cookout for all of his family. He could not grill the meat, so his son did. I fixed his plate of food but he could eat independently. He had a good time chatting with family.

Lately I've needed to help him, find the food that fell into his lap, give him his drink and put it back down when finished. He can't use a fork, and using a spoon requires a texture of soft-serve ice cream. Anything solid falls off. Finger foods work best. He did not recognize his sister, and in the last couple of months, did not know who I am and who he is, off and on.

Last week he kept saying he needed to go home. Between his sister and me, we could get him calmer and he seemed to understand he was already home.

I remembered a lot of advice on this forum, so when he got more agitated about it, I moved to a separate bedroom, and kept my keys and phone on me at all times. That came in handy when he put both hands on my throat and tried to choke me. I thank God he is not as strong as he used to be. I called 911 on speaker and he was so engrossed in the conversation that I was able to step past him and lock myself in the bedroom.

Sheriff's deputy was able to convince him to come along for a ride. I met them at the ER. Paul was admitted to the Geri-Psych ward on Friday. He kept telling me to get out of there. He said he never met me before, and then he told his oldest daughter that I was his first wife, someone he has lingering hatred for, whether real or delusional.

He is expected to be transferred to a memory care facility this Friday. My hard part is over. I have the luxury of scheduling a haircut, dental appointment, or just do the gardening without 15 interruptions. I still love who he was for the first 20 years we were married. This happened so fast I have mental whiplash.

Thank you to anyone who read my posts and left kind or helpful replies. You all help so many more people who read silently than you will ever know.

Comments

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,406
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    I’m grateful you were able to handle it safely and that a memory care spot was found quickly for you.  Rest and heal
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Paul&me there sure a lot of good stuff on here and it is good to hear it worked so well. This is such a long road to travel. I am glad your safe and can get a break for you.
  • Marie58
    Marie58 Member Posts: 382
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments
    I'm glad you're safe and that he was able to get a spot so quickly. Hope you can get some rest now.
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

I am glad you are safe and your DH is also in a safe place. Glad for you that you can now do some of the things you enjoy, especially the gardening! Take care. 

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more