Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

suggestions for hiding pills?

Rick4407
Rick4407 Member Posts: 241
Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions
My DW has a UTI, absolutely will not swallow a full cipro or half a cipro.   Crushed in applesauce it still is a strong taste and she won't eat it.  Any suggesting for alternative items to hide cipro in?  Thanks, Rick

Comments

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Cipro also comes in liquid form and from what I recall, I think it is strawberry flavored.  You may want to discuss this with your pharmacist.  If this seems workable, then the doctor can orer it for your LO.

J.

• Marta
    Marta Member Posts: 694
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

I have seen several recent posts where PWD were taking cipro 

for UTI. 

Please be aware that cipro  has significant neurocognitive effects;  within the last year prescribers have been advised stop prescribing cipro to PWDs. 

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

THANK YOU, Marta! 

J.

• Rick4407
    Rick4407 Member Posts: 241
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions
    Thank you Jo & Marta for the above information.  As it turns out I was never able to get a pill into my DW.   The Dr revised the Rx to cephalexin capsules.  Opened and mixed with lemon pudding those were easy.  Rick
  • Hoot619
    Hoot619 Member Posts: 342
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions Second Anniversary

Pill time around here is something else.  With applesauce she spits it out, that is

her blood pressure pill opened up and sprinkled stirred what ever.  Small pills it is  a hit or miss if she wants to take them or not. Caught her putting them in her small change purse the other day.  Won't drink water most of the time to take them. Then she will surprise me and no trouble with it. That don't happen very often.

I had to get on here to cool off a bit. DW can sure get me going, doesn't last long.  Well nobody told me was going to be easy and they are the ones that have gone thru this stuff.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more