Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

He's refusing medical treatment

Wilted
Wilted Member Posts: 82
10 Comments First Anniversary

He's been pretty confused the last few days. 

He went to his Dr. appointment yesterday. His lower dentures have been stuck in for several days. No pain or discomfort. Dr. said that could be contributing to his confusion and to go straight to a dentist to get them removed. He refused. 

He is also refusing to get his lab tests done. Dr suspects he could have a urinary tract infection, also contributing to the confusion. He thinks he's fine. Now he says he won't go to anymore Dr appointments.

How do I help him get the medical care he needs when he refuses to cooperate? 

Comments

• Lizzielou
    Lizzielou Member Posts: 33
    You can’t force him to go.  I have been battling the same thing for 2 years.  No GP no neurologist.  He will occasionally agree to see a cardiologist but reluctantly.  I’ve read how others have tried to trick their spouse by telling them the appointment is for the caregiver but LO needs to go along, or their insurance insists on an appointment.  Nothing has worked.  You cannot reason with him, bribe or demand.  I’m sorry you are in this situation.  Life is difficult enough without these roadblocks.
  • Wilted
    We're at the lab!!!
  • Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,406
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    Wilted-  that’s good news.   Maybe he will be more amenable to the dental issue soon
  • jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,767
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    UTI?
  • Wilted

Hopefully we get the results back soon.

We had a great day today. He was his fun-loving easy-going self. I took him out  for  Chinese food afterward. 

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Wilted, I'm glad you had him tested for a UTI. If you didn't know, an untreated UTI can lead to death. So glad you got it done.
  • Wilted

Tests came back normal. He was able to get his dentures out a couple of days ago. 

He's still gradually getting more confused. He often can't remember how to make iced tea (mix water & powdered tea mix).  Some days are better than others.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more