Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

This Is Us — Miguel

JJ401
JJ401 Member Posts: 312
Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

I have watched this from the beginning and I am going to be sorry for it to end. Last night's show was Miguel’s story. He’s been kind of a peripheral character and we didn’t really know much about him apart from the Pearson’s. Last night he was fleshed out. Part of his story is the spouse caregiver of his wife with Alzheimer’s.

I think they have done a pretty good job of showing Rebecca’s Alzheimer’s story. There are things that tv is not going to show (blue glove society), but in general pretty good. Last night they showed Miguel’s caregiving — the pills, the night elopement, caregiver injury, the way caregivers tend not to care for themselves, and the caregiver dying before the Alzheimer’s patient.

I think they did a good job.

Comments

• Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    I, too, have watched this show from the start.  I tape it and watch it straight through skipping the ads.  Just finished watching Miguel’s story, dried my tears, blew my nose and made myself a cup of tea.  I love the characters, their flaws and the true to life dilemmas they face.  I agree, they did a good job while remaining within the parameters of what is acceptable for TV.  I, too, am sorry to see this show end.
  • Rosi's Mom
    Rosi's Mom Member Posts: 11
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Comments
    II was wondering how realistically they were going to handle Rebecca's alzheimers. I, too, tink they have done pretty well. Miguel was very devoted to her, trying his best even to the detriment of his own health. It was good to see the kids step in to make him take a break. Love this show!
  • jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,768
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    any way to stream from the beginning???
  • OrganizerBecky
    OrganizerBecky Member Posts: 32
    Fifth Anniversary 10 Comments

I think they did a good job with this episode and I'm glad we finally got to know Miguel a bit better. Obviously, it was a sanitized version of what a lot of caregivers have to do every day all day. I appreciated when Miguel was just trying to enjoy a few moments as himself with Randall wine-tasting and Randall couldn't see it.

I, too, will miss this show. 

• Joshbi
    Joshbi Member Posts: 11
    Fourth Anniversary First Comment
    I applaud “This is Us” for its inclusion of Rebecca’s early-onset Alzheimer’s plot line touching on the toll it takes on PWD  and their families. Increasing awareness is always good. My only quibble with this excellent series (and others that incorporate dementia in their plots) is that there is seldom a mention/dialogue about how the family will cover the costs. Wouldn’t it be great if we all had a successful son like Kevin in the series, the ex-TV star who could build a cabin to house visiting family members and cover round-the-clock nursing/aides for a loved one? Just a simple throw-away line like ,“Thank God we can afford all this,” or some quick reference to the many families whose assets are wiped out by this disease, might be both a  public service (and a subtle jab at Medicare’s shortcomings or the income limits/red tape/waiting lists for Medicaid coverage). Mandy Moore said she had never heard about mild cognitive decline before accepting the role of the Pearson family matriarch. Now she has become a spokesperson for Alzheimer’s and dementia awareness—just in time for her generation to sense the financial ticking time bomb that they or their parents may face. Here’s to building awareness—the first step in any worthy cause. Wishing all of us a little sanity and a lot more help! Cheers, Josh
  • CStrope
    CStrope Member Posts: 487
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

My DH and I have also watched the show from the beginning, until Rebecca's diagnosis.  Then "poof", DH didn't like the show and made me turn it off.  So I would watch it in my bedroom was he was asleep.  Even now if ads for the show come on he will say, "that show used to be good but now it isn't"

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,014
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions
    I was about 6 episodes behind and caught up in the last few days. I think it was very well done. The decision tonight about where Rebecca would live was sad and touching. I’ve liked the show from the beginning, but it was almost always sad in one way or another. I’ll miss it. Only a couple more episodes before it ends.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more