Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

This is your lucky day

Ed1937
Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
Dr. Natalie Edmonds had a free 1 hour caregiver video last evening. I asked her if I could share the replay with you, and she said I could. Much of this was covered in the 5 day course I recently took, but the course went into much more detail. This replay is available until May 8 (Mother's Day) until 10 PM, eastern time. Here's the link.https://tinyurl.com/4drfsa25  

Comments

• Ed1937
    The whole video is actually closer to 1 1/2 hours because she answers some questions directly. That part is at the end of the video.
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Ed thank you. She makes a lot of sense! So thank you!
  • Ed1937
    Joy, you're welcome. I tried her suggestions, and they worked, at least this time. My biggest stressor is when she has dirty underwear, but won't let me help. This usually turns into a shouting match, and me forcing her into the shower. The last time it happened, I looked at the situation from her point of view. I told her I knew it was hard for her, and I was sorry for that. And I repeatedly said that it was OK. I was there to help her. And again and again, it was OK. She actually kind of complied with my request to help. What a change!! It might not work next time, but we'll see. Situations change, so techniques have to change too. I'll take whatever I can get.
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    I tried her technique this morning and it was a shock and it worked and you are so right. I now will have to just stop and think because it truly did keep my stress level down. Instead of just reacting to the situation stop and think. I know it will take time for me to accomplish this. I’m so grateful to you!
  • Pam BH
    Pam BH Member Posts: 195
    100 Comments Second Anniversary
    Ed, thank you for this link. It's not easy finding the time to watch videos related to dementia since my DH has anosognosia, but I was able to this morning and so glad I did. I had just recognized yesterday I needed to change how I respond to situations, and this gave me the how to analyze why I respond like I do which in turn leads to DH's negative responses. I'm signed up and looking forward to learning more.
  • Ed1937
    Pam, did you sign up for the whole bowl of wax? I'm glad someone is finding this thread useful.
  • Pam BH
    Ed, I did sign up for the whole bowl of wax. I figured it was cheaper than appointments with online geropsychologists who I'd probably have to try several before I found one I liked.  This method of learning as well as contacting her fits my situation and I liked what I've heard in this class as well as a couple of YouTube videos I've viewed.
  • Ed1937
    Pam, if you will, please let us know what you think about the programs you signed up for. It won't be long until you're teaching a class yourself.
  • Cherjer
    Cherjer Member Posts: 227
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes

Hi Pam, I too has signed up for the "whole bowl of wax"...since I am on the west coast, the zoom classes are inconvenient for me as in the middle of the the day or earlier, but I an view them later. I did not intend to spend this much money but think it is worth it.

• Pam BH

Ed, I'll let you know how it goes. I haven't been able to do much on it today. I work from home and am inundated right now and can only work when my DH is sleeping and thankfully he slept late today. It doesn't look like I'll be able to do the classes real time but like Cherjer can view them later.  I did have a question about navigating some of the services and got an immediate email back, so that's a positive.

Cherjer, Glad to have the company on this journey.  I like the convenience of not leaving the house for appointments with a geropsychologist or interviewing them online to see if they're a good fit. 

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more