Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Music, music, music

Ed1937
Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Not the song, although it was a good one. But I think we overlook the positive effects music can have on our LOs. This morning after she took off her incontinence underwear, she didn't want to put clean ones on, but just go without any. Finally I got them on her, but she wasn't happy with me. 

After breakfast I put youtube on, and played some music we listened to back in the day. It wasn't long before she was singing. I don't always think of that either, but it sure is a game changer.

Comments

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Thank you Ed for sharing. Sometimes it takes me a while to remember music, as the old saying goes, it calms the beast! To me this disease is a beast.
  • A losing hand.
    A losing hand. Member Posts: 44
    Tenth Anniversary 10 Comments

Remember this one, ED?

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,013
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

Ed, music has definitely helped with my DH. We listen to at least a couple songs in bed every night before we go to sleep with Amazon’s Alexa. He almost always sings or hums along. A couple nights ago on a tough day, I played just one song and then told Alexa to stop. I didn’t think he was interested in anything other than going back downstairs instead of sleeping. A few minutes later he asked for “more songs”. It’s like a different part of our brains that process music.

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Yes it does help tremendously, I say alexia play my favorites, actually dw's favorites,tada happy wife. I hadn't been doing that lately but dw has been especially depressed and easily angered. The cat food is gonna be the death of me.  This morning it helped alot. It helps me too.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more