Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

It’s funny until it is not!

Whyzit
Whyzit Member Posts: 156
Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 5 Likes
A dear friend just sent me a humorous You Tube video of a fellow singing about events surrounding memory loss. Lost keys and glasses, forgotten names and appointments, etc. The audience was enjoying a laughing good time. There was a time when I would have fit in with that audience. Now it just causes pain and sadness. I’m not sure how to respond to my friend. Maybe I just won’t respond this time. Like I said she is a dear friend who meant to entertain me, not hurt me.

Comments

• Buggsroo
    Buggsroo Member Posts: 573
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    I think I would feel the way you do. Sadly, forgetting is our reality, living with it and all the problems is difficult to say the least. People don’t get “it” until it happens to them.
  • JDancer
    JDancer Member Posts: 454
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments
    I would tell the friend what you said in your post. You appreciate the thought, but you are in a place where such things are painful.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Whyzit wrote:
     Maybe I just won’t respond this time. Like I said she is a dear friend who meant to entertain me, not hurt me.

I think that would be the best thing to do. You know she didn't mean to hurt you, so letting her know that she did would likely make her feel bad, which I know you don't want to do, just like she didn't want to hurt you.

• Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,319
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Probably better to not respond.  Reminds me that many years ago when the advertisement about medical alerts came out - the woman said she had fallen and couldn't get up.  When I was younger I thought that was sort of funny - why couldn't she get up?  Now, it's not funny.  Gets really hard, if not impossible, to get up when you're older and have fallen.  Things change as we get older. 
  • Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

She probably sent the video to everyone on her friend list, without thinking of who would enjoy it.

My father didn't like the TV show "MASH."  He served in a MASH unit in WWII and said "It wasn't like that."  Subject closed.

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    You said she is a good friend, good friends don’t intentionally hurt other friends. My opinion she was just trying to give you a laugh, not to hurt you. Does she know your DH has ad? Maybe she doesn’t understand much about this disease. Keep your friendship, she did not mean to hurt you. At some point you can enlighten her about ad.
  • sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 748
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    I probably wouldn't respond, but if she followed up I'd probably say, as lightheartedly as I could manage, "too true to be funny," and change the subject.
  • Doug C
    Doug C Member Posts: 3
    First Comment

Wow. Hopefully they did not think that through before they sent it to you.

You are probably better off not responding. If they do something similar in the future, it might be time to let them know that humor is a little "too close to home" to be funny for you 

Hang in there

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney