Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Advice about how many in household.

I have searched everywhere for the answer.

Back in December I was diagnosed and scheduled for Total Aortic Valve Replacement.  I then filed for Medicaid and placed my DH in MC because I was the only caretaker for him.  Since then there has been some times I've attempted to fill out paperwork for financial assistance.  But I digress: Most forms for different situations ask for how many in household.  I've been confused as to include my DH or not.  Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks Barb

Comments

• Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Barb, I think you should see a Medicaid attorney for help in this process.  It will save you a lot of money and grief in the long run.

I spent decades filling out govt paperwork, and I don't know the answer.  It may depend on whether you plan for him to come home after surgery, or it may not.  You need to talk to someone who knows the rules in your State.

Best wishes on the surgery.  

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,406
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    ask a Medicaid attorney.  They will also want to know if your spouse is already on Medicaid. Since you’ve placed him and are applying for Medicaid yourself, my presumption is that he is already on Medicaid, and that you are currently the ‘community’  spouse.   Now that you also want to be on Medicaid, the asset and income rules will change. Best to have a lawyer help you.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more