Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Change in Gait?

My DH was diagnosed a year ago with MCI.  Since that time, he has progressed some, and has developed depression and anxiety that are now being controlled with medication.  Over the last several months I have noticed that he is walking differently.  He saw his daughter last week - the first time since Christmas - and she asked me about it.  He is walking up on the ball of his foot almost on his  toes.  He is a little unsteady at times as well.

We are seeing the doctor on Tuesday, but this forum has so many knowledgeable people I was wondering if anyone here knew if that is a sign of a neurological change.  BTW, this change happened before he started any new medications, so I don't think it is a side effect.

Thank you all in advance!

Comments

• Jean loves wildlife
    Jean loves wildlife Member Posts: 31
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions
    Peg I’m glad you’re seeing a doctor in a couple of days. If the doctor isn’t a podiatrist I hope your DH will be referred to one. I started limping recently and went to a podiatrist who determined I had a pinched and irritated nerve (neuroma) causing pain and making me limp to avoid the pain.  In my case it is helped by ibuprofen and icing. There are so many things that can cause pain in our feet. I hope this is diagnosed and taken care of. Sending best wishes.
  • Twin Mom
    Twin Mom Member Posts: 81
    Seventh Anniversary 10 Comments

My guess is a neurological change in the brain.  I'm betting it is similar to people who are "toe walkers" based on brain injury at birth.  Just a guess.  If you do a literature search of "toe walking" in people with dementia you will find some interesting scientific articles.

• Palmetto Peg
    Palmetto Peg Member Posts: 189
    Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Likes
    I think it might be neurological, too.  We are seeing the PCP, and I am again asking for a referral to a neurologist.  We have had several appointments, only to have them cancelled due to COVID, and one where after the appointment was made we were told the doctor was no longer taking new patients.  I have seen toe walkers who were autistic, and also some older people after a stroke.  It is funny how different the disease is for everyone.  Different symptoms!
  • Twin Mom
    Twin Mom Member Posts: 81
    Seventh Anniversary 10 Comments
    We have a son who is autistic and a "toe walker".  Many of the autistic behaviors he has are similar to what I see with my husband who has FTD.  The same communication strategies I use with our son often work with the FTD.
  • Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,406
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

My nephew ( adult now) was born with ‘ a mild case’ of cerebral palsy.  Mild because  you’d have to know to to know.  He holds one arm a little bent, and he walked on the ball and toes of one foot. Eventually the Shriners surgeons did something ( cut a tendon I think??) and he now walks on the entire foot, with a noticeable limp.  So I expect your spouse’s issue is a progression of the dementia or the addition of some other neurological issue.  

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more