Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Back from our trip

nancyj194
nancyj194 Member Posts: 173
Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Hi all, we returned yesterday from a three day trip to attend an aunt's 98th birthday party and spend Mother's Day with my mother, who is 102.  There were 70 family members at my aunt's party.

Cousins came from coast to coast.  We spent the day catching up on everyone's lives.  The weather was perfect.   DH still knows the extended family. but names don't come to him.  That's okay, he smiles and greets them like they were brothers or sisters. 

My DH did well on the flight. I requested wheel chair service at both airports, which worked out well.  In Omaha, they had only one wheel chair assistant so I walked. My replacement knee took me where I needed to go without complaining too much. 

I'm glad the trip is over and nothing major happened with my DH or my mother.  

Comments

• Marie58
    Marie58 Member Posts: 382
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments
    I'm glad everything went well.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    That is a major win, Nancy. Glad you had good weather, and a good time.
  • nancyj194

Thanks Marie and Ed. I needed the getaway, but my care taking duties then included my mother. She, over the last few years, has a very short term memory like DH.  

Since we returned home, I've ordered a new washer to replace the old one, that two days before our trip,  went south after 44 years. That was one amazing washer!!

DH has done something with the living room land line phone yesterday.  I've looked everywhere. His only comment is "it's just gone."  I took the one out of his bedroom, as he rarely answers it.   

My tension level taking  care of him is mostly high , which is worse in the summer, as he goes outside to "do things." When he does things, I spend way more time than I have, fixing what he did. 

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Nancy glad you and your dh had a good time. That was one heck of a dryer! They sure don’t make them like they used to!
  • nancyj194

Joydean, thank you. I was happy he did as well as he did while we were there.  He's been to my mom's well over 300 times over the years, so he is familiar with everything.  

I know new appliances will not last as long as this one has. Both washer and dryer are both over 40 years old. They are as good as it gets. 

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,678
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Nancy glad you got to spend some time with your family.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more