Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Dentist for a new upper plate

Hoot619
Hoot619 Member Posts: 342
100 Comments 25 Care Reactions Second Anniversary
They called yesterday to remind me. So I got the Kid's van so I could get her there.  DW will not allow me to get her dressed. Called our daughter, she talked to her Mom and got her say she would go.    But same as before. Called her back and DW wouldn't even talk to her or listen this time.  They were very nice when I called to cancel, told me if she has a good day to call and bring her in.  That part made my day.    At my meeting this morning someone said there are no bad days ,just bad moments that last for awhile . It gave me a new outlook on my days.

Comments

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Thanks hoot I like the only bad moments part. I have been trying to look at it this lately. It helps to know in a minute it could be better. That is gonna help me deal with this disease. My wife's eye surgeon call and wanted to know if she could come later in the day. It worked out good for her and me. I had no pre appt anxiety either, I do warn my dw what's coming so far it's been OK so far. Maybe wait till she's  dressed and in a good time. Sorry it didn't go well.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Sorry it didn't go well for you. But it sounds like you found a good place to have the work done, if they were so accommodating.
  • harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,364
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes
    I like your dentist.
  • jmlarue
    jmlarue Member Posts: 511
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes
    How advanced is your wife's dementia? Perhaps it's a blessing in disguise that she refused to go to the dentist. If you don't wear dentures yourself, you may not know what she will have to go through to get that new upper plate. You may need to re-consider the necessity. I have dentures and, for me, the prospect of having that mold shoved in my mouth, breathing through my nose, and gagging on the silicone oozing out of it for 15 minutes is horrific. If I also suffered dementia, I'd probably be so confused and overwhelmed by the whole process, either I'd refuse to open my mouth or fight like a wildcat to have that mold removed. The alternative is to live with the ill-fitting denture by using adhesive liners or paste/powder adhesives to keep the old plate serviceable a while longer. Maybe you should talk to the dentist about that. He could show you how to use the adhesive products if you've never done that. Ill fitting dentures can be a serious choking risk with or without dementia. That's why good many folks in congregate facilities are provided pureed meals and don't wear their dentures.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more