Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Indignity layered upon indignity

Paris20
Paris20 Member Posts: 502
Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions
I just returned from the rehab unit at our local hospital, where my husband was admitted after the stroke he suffered last week. He’ll be there for a few weeks but I don’t think he’ll ever be well enough to come home. I watched my husband, right side paralyzed, head bent into his chest, mouth askew, and I asked myself, “Hasn’t he suffered enough? Isn’t dementia bad enough? Why is indignity heaped upon indignity?” If my husband knew what was happening, he’d be mortified. Instead he’s confused and depressed. But I DO know what is happening and it breaks my heart.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,722
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Paris I am so, so sorry.  Sounds like he will likely need nursing home care after this.  I hope he is comfortable and remains so.  Have you asked for a hospice consult, or is it too early (I can't imagine that it is...)?
  • Gig Harbor
    Gig Harbor Member Posts: 564
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    I am so sorry Paris. As a retired ER nurse I just want to give you a heads up on what might happen in the near future. He is at a high risk for pneumonia or a UTI. If this happens the nursing home will ask you what you want to do - treat or not treat. It will be a very hard decision to make without having much time to think about it. If you decide not to treat either condition and to just keep him comfortable that is OK. Just because technology and drugs exist does not mean you need to use them. I talked to a lot of families in the ER over the years and helped them with their decisions. Mentally prepare yourself for when this time comes. I have told my daughter that if I have a stroke or dementia she is to say absolutely no treatment even for something simple like a UTI.
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Paris, I am so very sorry! I do hope he is as comfortable as the doctors can do for him. Prayers for you and your dear husband.
  • Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Adding my voice to the chorus here to say how sorry I am for what both you and your DH going through.  Your journey was hard heretofore, and now it has gotten harder still.  Hoping your DH gets the care he needs, and that you are looking after yourself.   

Holding you both in my heart.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Paris, that is much more than anyone should have to deal with. I'm so sorry.
  • Donr
    Donr Member Posts: 182
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes
    Gig Harbor wrote:
    I am so sorry Paris. As a retired ER nurse I just want to give you a heads up on what might happen in the near future. He is at a high risk for pneumonia or a UTI. If this happens the nursing home will ask you what you want to do - treat or not treat. It will be a very hard decision to make without having much time to think about it. If you decide not to treat either condition and to just keep him comfortable that is OK. Just because technology and drugs exist does not mean you need to use them. I talked to a lot of families in the ER over the years and helped them with their decisions. Mentally prepare yourself for when this time comes. I have told my daughter that if I have a stroke or dementia she is to say absolutely no treatment even for something simple like a UTI.
    Your response was very good and to the point. Thank you for the information.
  • Paris20
    Thank you all so much. This is the best place for advice and support. I’ve already gone through that series of questions about what-if-care and the bottom line will be to keep DH comfortable, nothing more. My daughters agreed. DH is currently in the hospital rehab unit. Their goal is to keep him for four weeks and then move him to an assisted living facility that offers special nursing care options. My daughters want me to try that. My more realistic prediction is that cannot happen. He will wind up in a skilled nursing facility unless a miracle happens. I just hope the hospital doesn’t tell us soon that he must go elsewhere if his progress is minimal. Tomorrow I rush down to NJ for my mother’s hundredth birthday celebration. Then I’ll fly home.
  • abc123
    abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    Dear Paris, you are both in my thoughts and prayers. I am so sorry this has happened.
  • David J
    David J Member Posts: 479
    100 Comments Third Anniversary
    Paris, I am very sorry for what has happened. Sometimes life just sucks. But, you get to go see your mother for her 100th birthday and don’t have to worry about your husband. Have a safe trip.
  • ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,013
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

Paris, I am so sorry. Will pray for a miracle, whatever that turns out to be. 

I’m glad you will be able to celebrate your mother’s 100th birthday with her. 

• Lynne D
    Lynne D Member Posts: 276
    100 Comments Second Anniversary
    Paris, I have nothing to add, but echo the positive thoughts coming your way.
  • Buggsroo
    Buggsroo Member Posts: 573
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Paris,

I am sorry for what you are dealing with vis a vis your husband. I am really glad you can see your mom on her 100th birthday, but feel sad for your sadness over your husband. I send you a virtual hug.

• Inden Mom
    Inden Mom Member Posts: 13
    First Comment First Anniversary
    Paris, I'm glad that you will see your mom for her birthday.  Prayers for your DH.
  • White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 851
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

Paris, I am so sorry this has happened to your DH.  It is heartbreaking to watch the one we love in such a state.  My heart goes out to you and to him.  Sending hugs and prayers.

Brenda

• Scooterr
    Scooterr Member Posts: 168
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes
    Paris, my heart goes out to you. I know you must be totally exhausted, mentally and physically. No one should have to endear this much pain. I know it's hard to do during these times but try and take care of yourself. You have a lot of people on this forum behind you. Praying for you.
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Yes Paris we are praying for ya, and there are so many on the forum and in churches praying for us all.
  • Pat6177
    Pat6177 Member Posts: 442
    100 Likes Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions
    Paris, I hope the trip to NJ for your mother’s birthday celebration went well. Just thinking of you.
  • Paris20
    I celebrated my mother’s hundredth birthday and had a wonderful time. I flew home that night. As tired as I am, it was without doubt the right and best thing to do. My husband is making a little progress in rehab and we have found an excellent assisted living home that provides nursing care, PT, etc. for extra money. We are lucky to have this facility in our town and I spoke to friends who had parents there. They had only praise and assured me that from memory care to therapy to feeding, he will be well cared for. I, however, will suffer the effects of a radical cashectomy. Only our long term care insurance and a few services covered by Medicare will help pay for it. Our financial advisor said we can afford it. I hope he is right but I cannot put DH in a nursing home. It would kill him, and me too.
  • Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Thrilled for you, Paris20, that you made it to your mother’s 100th b-day celebration and could be part of it.   And nice to hear that your DH is somewhat improved and you have a good AL solution for him.  

You have been a dedicated caregiver and it’s encouraging to hear that some things are falling into place nicely.  Sorry the pocketbook will suffer for it but as we say so often with AD, it is what it is.

• Marie58
    Marie58 Member Posts: 382
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments
    So glad you went to your Mom's birthday party and that you found a good place for DH. Hope you can get some rest. Blessings to you both.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more