Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Is it sundowning or something else?

Dio
Dio Member Posts: 682
500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary

Does sundowning last all day and night? or is something else going on? DH is a completely different person when it hits, every other day last month, and this week it lasted 36 hours 3x. He just paces near the front door, beckons me to go over to where he is but doesn't say why. He won't sit even if I brought a chair. He won't let me hug or touch him. I look into his eyes--hollow, bewildered, scared. I don't know how to help him. I can't stand there with him for too long. Everytime I walk away to sit, he'll beckon me to "come over here." (And don't even think about turning on the TV or music.) By 3am I really needed to lie down, but he would try to grab me out of bed to go back downstairs and wouldn't let me sleep. Last night, I locked the bedroom door and he nearly broke the door.

His doctor increased dosage of seroquel and started him on paroxetine (so far 5 days) but he's refusing to take meds these days. It's a long effort for him to yield, and yesterday he simply wouldn't budge. I'm beyond exhaustion.

When he's not in this state, he's almost normal, and like a fool I keep that thin thread of hope alive.

Comments

• jmlarue
    jmlarue Member Posts: 511
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes
    I'd load him up and take him to urgent care or emergency room for a urine test. Urinary tract infection can cause really bizarre behavior. Also be sure to mention the new medication. Maybe he's having an adverse reaction that's causing hallucinations and he's trying to show you some crazy thing he's seeing.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Hi Dio. Welcome aboard. Wish you didn't have a reason to be here. Did the doctor check for a UTI? That could cause many different symptoms, and they can be cleared up when the infection is taken care of. If no UTI test was done, it might be a good idea to ask for one. Also ask for them to run a culture on it. The culture will identify the type of infection, if there is one, and that will tell them the best antibiotic for that particular strain.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Jmlarue, sorry. I started my post some time ago, then had a problem, so had to get off before posting. I didn't know you posted.
  • Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 682
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary
    JM, thank you for the info! Interesting about UTI causing bizarre behavior. His urine has been abnormally dark lately.
  • jmlarue
    jmlarue Member Posts: 511
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes
    Dark urine can be significant. If not UTI, it might suggest dehydration. Do see a doc ASAP so you can get some peace of mind and some rest.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more