Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Communication or not?

Whyzit
Whyzit Member Posts: 156
Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Yesterday I watched  webinar on communication with people with dementia. It was a good presentation with valuable practical tips.

Today DH wanted his shorts because it is suddenly hot (80) here in Connecticut. We store out of season clothing in a cedar chest in our living room but it also is a major job to do the seasonal transition because I have house plants sitting on top of the chest as well as the power box for our tv. We moved the plants etc. onto the floor and DH sat next to the chest and unloaded our summer duds onto a chair. He started to close the chest and I told him to wait while I gathered up our winter garments from the bedroom to put into the chest.

When I returned from the bedroom, I folded each garment, handed them to him and he put them in the cedar chest. I had trouble closing the chest because it was so full but finally succeeded. We put the plants and power box back in place and swept the floor. I went back to the bedroom to hang our summer clothes up and then noticed something amiss. My clothes were missing. I went back to the living room and they weren’t there. Then it dawned on me why it was so difficult to close the cedar chest. I bet my summer clothes are keeping company with OUR winter clothes in the cedar chest. But DH is happy, he has his shorts.

Being a “good caregiver” and not wanting to upset my DH, I said nothing. Nope, no communication at all. So what do you think, did the results show I failed the communication webinar? Or, should I just forget the whole deal and go shopping for a new summer wardrobe?

Comments

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Whyzit you passed your communication test. Maybe you'll find a quiet time to get your stuff out.  We in Tennessee just went thru what we call black berry winter. I cleaned the chimney the stove and started splitting wood for the year after wood. I have a big wood shed with 2 years worth of wood. Now we are hitting the 80's
  • Marie58
    Marie58 Member Posts: 382
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments
    Whyzit, you passed with flying colors! You did the right thing so he wouldn't get upset. You could take your stuff out later when he's not watching, or you could reward yourself with a new summer wardrobe!
  • Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,444
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions

Wow its more than 8years since DW was  capable of doing anything remotely that organized. 
     I kept a "car box " of everything she ever kept in a pocketbook.  I put out her clothes for her.  
     I would pull out the dishes for her to set the table for two and  they could end up anywhere.  It's not communication they just can't figure it out it out anymore 

In Kruger they drive on the left so I had to "hang a sign" for her for her side of the care finally I  would  put her sun hat on the roof   of her side . Of course the last thing I would  do is hand her the sun hat  we would have 4 cameras all ready to go. despite everything she still took better pictures than I did !!

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Whyzit, I say you passed, now go shopping!
  • Pam BH
    Pam BH Member Posts: 195
    100 Comments Second Anniversary

Whyzit, you passed with flying colors! You did what's best for your DH and you. But don't let that stop you from shopping!

ToolBeltExpert - You have made my day by mentioning blackberry winter. I'm from the neighboring state of Kentucky and we had not only blackberry winter but cherry blossom winter and dogwood winter.  I've lived in Virginia 50 years and haven't found anyone who's heard about it, at least in my part of Virginia.  These "winters" are essentially cold, windy, rainy periods that beat the blossoms off what's in bloom at the time, i.e., cherry trees, etc.  

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,014
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions
    Whyzit, I agree that you passed with flying colors. New summer wardrobe! Taking everything apart again and getting out your clothes might make your husband feel bad. Or maybe not. But why chance it?

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more