Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Music back in my life

David J
David J Member Posts: 479
100 Comments Third Anniversary

Back in college where we met, my wife and I would fall asleep to music on the radio. After we were married, my wife’s tolerance for my music wained, to the point where she would turn off whatever I had on. I can’t completely blame her, as my taste in music and hers had a small intersection. We enjoyed music in that overlap area, but I played my type of music in the car. Probably similar to others here. 

Today I bought over 100 cds at an auction for about $0.33 each. Some of these cds I wouldn't have purchased new, but I am enjoying listening to blues, 70’s hits, classical, and other music that really strikes a chord (pun intended). I never realized how much I missed music. Its not her fault, we just moved away from it. I am getting back into it now, as I find my new life without her at home. I wish she could enjoy this music with me, but she is beyond that. 

Comments

• Gig Harbor
    Gig Harbor Member Posts: 564
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    Good for you David! Enjoy your music. You deserve to relax and take care of yourself.
  • jmlarue
    jmlarue Member Posts: 511
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes
    I love music, too, from a wide range of genres. I've even embraced some of the contemporary music my children like. I was watching a Teepa Snow video on dementia care. She says that music memories are the last to go for most of our LOs. It amazes me that my husband is growing less and less able to speak a full and understandable sentence, but remembers the lyrics and can still sing along with the music of our youth (60's & 70's rock). Enjoy your treasure trove of CDs. No doubt they'll bring you hours of pleasure.
  • ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,015
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

My husband speaks in short sentences now too, but remembers lyrics, or at least some of them, to lots of old, and even a few newer but popular songs. We listen and sing along with Alexa in bed every night before we fall asleep. A few days ago, on kind of a bad day I played only one song, the first on our Night Songs playlist, “May Each Day” from the old Andy Williams show. He sang it at the end of his shows.

“May each day in the week be a good day
    May the Lord always watch over you
    And may all of your hopes turn to wishes
    And may all of your wishes come true
    May each day in the month be a good day
    May you make friends with each one you meet
    And may all of your daydreams be mem'ries
    And may all of your mem'ries be sweet
    The weeks turn to months and the months into years
    There'll be sadness and joy, there'll be laughter and tears
    But one thing I pray to heaven above
    May each of your days be a day full of love
    May each day in the year be a good day
    May each dawn find you happy and gay
    And may all of your days be as lovely
    As the one you shared with me today
    May each day of your life be a good day
    And good night.”

DH sang along with only a few parts and I told Alexa to stop when it ended, rather than continue the playlist, thinking he wasn’t in the mood for music. A few minutes latter he said quietly, “More songs..” We sang along for least another hour. The day ended on a good note.

• Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    That’s great, David.   Glad you’ve rediscovered something that gives you joy.  We all need some joy to help us through our caregiving responsibilities n.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    David, you found a win! There's not much better than music. Enjoy.
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Jmlarue I can speak to music being the last thing to go. I used to sing with pwd at mcf and every now and then I would hear one of the aides notice someone who happen spoken, but they saw them sing. I really enjoyed this especially when family  would show up and join the singing.
  • DrinaJGB
    DrinaJGB Member Posts: 425
    100 Comments First Anniversary

I can totally relate to your post. When I am having a black dog day I do one of two things--go outside to play frisbee with my GSD, or turn on music.

Just this month I purchased a turntable because I wanted to play some of our albums from our lifetime of collecting music. It has been so enjoyable---and my DH loves hearing the Neil Young, Joni, Supertramp, Steely Dan, Bowie,Traffic,Billie Holiday, Lester Young, Charlie Parker, Miles Davis albums that he played nearly daily on his former B&O turntable.So much extraordianry music by real old masters of the music world. It transports you into a realm of joy and amazement.

Music has saved us many times in these years. Do what you have to do to stay alive and sane.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,722
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    David I'm very aware that this is something I need, too--and glad it's worked for you.  There's something wrong with our CD player though, the connections to the speakers are screwed up, and I'm enough of a Luddite not to be able to sort it out (not to mention it's all tucked away in a deep cabinet, and hard to access).  On my list though, I think it would help.  The house is too, too quiet.
  • Sligo177
    Sligo177 Member Posts: 165
    100 Comments Second Anniversary
    Thank you for sharing that, David!  I'm so glad you are giving yourself time for your favorite music.  Your note is a good reminder that there's joy to be experienced.  We find it here and there....for instance, I walked down to the coffee shop early this morning and did that for me and me alone.  DH sleeps far later than I.  Felt so good!  Have a wonderful weekend.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more