Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Between everything breaking, the record heat...and DH I'm about to go postal

We  are playing the "Well, I guess I'll get going now" game tonight.   Says he has work to do,  I explain he doesn't work,  he doesn't drive,  he's retired for the 2000 time.  He just asked me in the space of 5 minutes if he could go................I am so at the end of my rope here  I WANT TO GO!!!

Comments

• sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 748
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Bigfoot, it's frustrating. Sometimes explaining doesn't work. Their brains don't reason the same way, and they're living in a reality we can't see.

Sometimes it's helpful to try to understand that reality. If you ask him about the work he has to do, sometimes you can come up with answers that fit his world. For instance if you ask and he has to go help John fix something, you can let him know John is sick or that his son took care of it or some other story that fits your dh's story better. Is it true? It's true that it works better, and it's true that John doesn't need his help right now. It's also true that your dh, when you find a story that works, is able to be happy and content, and there's some value to that, too.

• JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes

DH has spent the last year wanting to "GO."  I have no idea where he wants to be. When he was home, we'd go out in the car and just drive around. Sometimes we weren't in the house long enough for me to take off my coat and he'd say, "OK, I need to go." 

That was one of the reasons on my list for placement.

• bigfoot2you
    bigfoot2you Member Posts: 30
    10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

Same with mine.  Almost every day it's well I've gotta get going.   Says he's going back to Bridgton, childhood home, and see his mother.   She's been dead for several years.............has absolutely no memory of marying me or living together for 40 plus years.........Thinks he has another wife somewhere..............I wonder if I placed him if he would even remember this house at all??

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more