Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Fill in your profile

Crushed
Crushed Member Posts: 1,444
Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions

Folks please please please please

Fill in your profile with ages dependents and what STATE you live in  

Almost all practical help we can give you depends on those facts

Don't put it in a post put it in your Profile  

Comments

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,768
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    just did aneeded update...thank for the reminder
  • Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

While a complete set of information is helpful, I can understand why people do not fill in their entire Profile; there are two sides to this. 

For some, it is a matter of safety and confidentiality.  Some do not want relatives or others in their lives to be able to suss out who they are as it could cause severe issues in their personal lives. 

In most instances, for me, the most helpful bit of information is the state a person lives in if they are looking for information regarding Medicaid Long Term Care benefits, or for other helping entities in their area/state.

Most of the Members are sharing concerns that do not require such information, and if they have a need, whether a new Member or a known Member with a new need,  we can ask for  information such as the name of their state to assist in our responses.  All it takes is a day or two of our patience to get a response IF they want to respond.

For myself, I no longer put in any information in my Profile regarding myself.  Twice, some time ago, two different people managed to "find" me in my personal life. Literally. It was quite uncomfortable and concerning.  These were persistent folks who managed to glean information from some of my Posts and put it together with information from my Profile at that time along with further computer searching.  It was a jarring concern and thankfully it became annoying but not a danger. One of the individuals was a male who seemed to have issues and that was the most concerning. The other was a female who somehow, by using the computer was able to find my unlisted telephone number to call me.  That was astonishing.  Nothing like that has happened since those two occurrences.

We have a Member who had a new home built; he Posted many interior and exterior photos of his house - both entrances and most of the rooms shot from inside the house.  He also had a lot of information in his Posts and on the Profile which made it very easy to find his actual location/address.  That along with the photos would let anyone bent on criminal behavior know where all entrances and access points were including the windows.  Even if an alarm system was in use, there was still danger.  He has since deleted the photos of his home.

So . . . just a bit of input regarding how we must still be cautious and also try to understand why some Members do not wish to share their information.

J.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,768
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    There are far easier ways to find a person than looking here. Jo, you would be surprised to know just how much people can find out a person....easily.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    I think there are a lot of times when people looking for answers could be helped easier/better if the information was readily available. But I can understand why some people would not want to list anything at all. I do find it interesting knowing where people are from.
  • JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    I've not been very shy in my posts saying where I live, but for some reason I'm still hesitant to put it in my profile where it can easily be found. Most of the time it just isn't relevant to what I have to say.
  • Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Hi Judith, no; I would not be surprised at all by how much a person can learn about another; my DH was a detective on a large law enforcement department and oh my, the incidents . . .

As for the two individuals I wrote about; they were both Members from this site.  They both wanted to talk to me, "personally."  I had not spoken to them regarding that wish either on this site or anywhere else, nor did I ever give my consent for such contact.  They were certainly very creative and persistant in their seeking me out.

Water over the dam and under the bridge so to speak; that was a long time ago and have never had that happen since.  Some folks just do not want to give out any information about themselves in a Profile with quite a few not wanting their family members or others to know that they are active on this site for various reasons .

J.

• Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,444
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions

To each his or her own

In my case we were always a quite well known Doctor lawyer couple in medical computing
    She was quite possibly the most well known woman physician in her field in the world. Everyone in the field knows she has Alzheimer's there is an award  in her name
    I'm also reasonably well known in my field around the world     
    So I don't  worry too much.  

YMMV

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care