Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

A new thread from Jack in WN

Ed1937
Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
When do I know it's time to consider a qualified dementia facility? My wife's anger  and verbal abuse towards me is increasing , especially late afternoons and evenings. This is Jack's first post.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Welcome to the forum, Jack. Sorry you need to be here, but you've found a good place for companionship, understanding, and receiving suggestions.

It sounds like sundowning when it comes at that time of the day. You should get plenty of replies to that because it is pretty common.

In my opinion, it is never too early to start seeing what is available for her. If you have something set up, when the time comes, it should be much easier to get her accepted. I think it is time to consider placement when it becomes a threat to either of your health. Dangerous conditions and mental health concerns that are not addressed are good reasons to consider.

• JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Ed nailed it. When you find yourself ignoring your own medical issues, when you find that keeping your spouse safe is becoming difficult, when your patience is stretched too thin too often.... all those are signs.

With that said, medication changes can help with some of the behavior and allow you to keep her at home longer.

• Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Welcome to the club, Jack.

I think, if you are thinking about placement, it is not too soon to start visiting memory care facilities and making a selection.  Sorry you are having this trouble.

• Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

I just read your profile, should have done that first.

If you can't leave your wife home alone, she is already in care.  If she needs help to do activities of daily living (bathing, dressing, eating, etc.) she is already in care.  If you struggle to provide the needed care and supervision at home, even with paid assistance, it is time to look for more help.  

In your shoes, I would be shopping for a qualified care facility.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more