Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Lots of anxiety and depression

My DH was diagnosed with early-stage dementia about a year ago.  He is on Remeron, and it has helped him sleep.  His anxieties and depression fluctuate from day to day.  He mostly wants to stay home and do nothing.  I try to get him out a couple of days a week to walk or go shopping or out to lunch.  He always loved to do those things.   Should I insist that we do more or just let him decide if he wants to do anything?  We periodically drive about fifty miles to visit our daughter and grandchildren, but he is starting to say he doesn't want to go.  I need some guidance on how to handle situations when he doesn't want to go anywhere.  He also no longer enjoys working around the house on projects.  He was someone who never let the house go but now he says he has no energy for it.   We have a doctor's appointment to see if his medication needs to be changed.  Thanks for any advice you have.

Comments

• A. Marie
    A. Marie Member Posts: 118
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    Nancy Anne, apathy and lack of motivation are part of the whole dementia picture. The "Understanding the Dementia Experience" that so many posters here refer to (http://www.dementiacarestrategies.com/12_pt_Understanding_the_Dementia_Experience.pdf) covers this along with everything else. (This link isn't a live link, so just copy and paste it into your browser.) I'd recommend just going with what he says he isn't up to, and explaining to your loved ones what's happening and reassuring them that it isn't personal. Hands across the Internet to you.
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Nancy Ann,  A Marie is right. My DH went from not wanting to go anywhere to now everyday wants to know where I’m taking him. Just no way of knowing which way or when they will change.  Best of luck to you!
  • Nancy Anne
    Nancy Anne Member Posts: 20
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments
    A.Marie, thank you for sending the link.  I have downloaded it and am reading it.  There is a lot to take in.  I appreciate your response.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more