Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Ten warning signs of dementia

ElaineD
ElaineD Member Posts: 206
Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions

My DH exhibits many of the items on the list....in varying degrees  at different times.

The most difficult period was about three year when his personality changed and he became much more difficult: verbally abusive, refusing to help me, etc.  Fortunately this trait has almost completely disappeared.  In fact he is nicer than he has been in 60 years!

He memory is getting worse, short term especially.  But he also has forgotten more and more significant events in the life of our family. Recently we had many old VHS tapes converted to digital format.  Some thing he is delighted to see, and others he makes no comment and walks away.   On some occasions he has said, I don't remember that.

He constantly misplaces things,  and has on two occasions decided that someone came into our apartment the 'stole' the missing items (TV remote, power bars!).  Of course we find the items with some effort on my part.

DH sleeps 10 hours a night and falls asleep in his chair during the day.  He is apathetic, but I think this is due to his inability to 'organize' and his constant memory loss.   

Some of the traits on this list are absent or very mild (maybe he's 'always been this way'?)

I hope this is helpful to newer members.

From Better Health Channel.

Ten warning signs of dementia

Go through the following checklist of the common symptoms of dementia. If the person affected has several of these signs, consult a doctor for a complete assessment.

Dementia and memory loss

It’s normal to occasionally forget appointments and remember them later. A person with dementia may forget things more often or not remember them at all.

Dementia and difficulty with tasks

People can get distracted and they may forget to serve part of a meal. A person with dementia may have trouble with all the steps involved in preparing a meal.

Dementia and disorientation

A person with dementia may have difficulty finding their way to a familiar place or feel confused about where they are, or think they are back in some past time of their life.

Dementia and language problems

Everyone has trouble finding the right word sometimes, but a person with dementia may forget simple words or substitute inappropriate words, making sentences difficult to understand. They may also have trouble understanding others.

Dementia and changes in abstract thinking

Managing finances can be difficult for anyone, but a person with dementia may have trouble knowing what the numbers mean or what to do with them.

Dementia and poor judgement

Many activities require good judgement. When this ability is affected by dementia, the person may have difficulty making appropriate decisions, such as what to wear in cold weather.

Dementia and poor spatial skills

A person with dementia may have difficulty judging distance or direction when driving a car.

Dementia and misplacing things

Anyone can temporarily misplace a wallet or keys. A person with dementia may not know what the keys are for.

Dementia and mood, personality or behaviour changes

Everyone becomes sad or moody from time to time. Someone with dementia can have rapid mood swings, for no apparent reason. They can become confused, suspicious or withdrawn. Some can become disinhibited or more outgoing.

Dementia and loss of initiative

It is normal to tire of some activities. Dementia may cause a person to lose interest in previously enjoyed activities or require cues prompting them to become involved.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more