Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Sharing an email

Ed1937
Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I thought this might be of interest to some. Here is the email I got this morning. --

Careblazer,

Sometimes trying to help someone with dementia backfires on us.

You try to help out and they accuse you of:

• Treating them like a child
  • Trying to take over their life
  • Bossing them around

In last Sunday's video, I shared 5 heartbreaking mistakes many caregivers mistakes. They are heartbreaking because each and every one of these mistakes are coming from a place of wanting to help.

It's not your fault if you find yourself making these "mistakes." These things actually work amazing when the person doesn't have dementia and are probably what you would do when trying to help anyone else you care about.

But as you've probably discovered, it can backfire when it comes to dementia.

You can watch the video and learn about these loving but often heartbreaking mistakes by clicking HERE.

Sending love to you,

Natali

P.S. It IS possible to rebuild, maintain, or improve your relationship with your loved one with dementia even if you've been making some of these mistakes, I'd like to show you how by giving you FREE sneak peek access to my Relationship Revival Program HERE.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,722
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Thanks Ed, I'm going to take a look, see if I can pick up any tips.  Pray for me, I am going to visit on Thursday.  No idea how it will go, but I'm hoping these videos may help me figure out how to approach.  Five weeks this week and I've talked to her only twice.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

You've got the prayers. I hope things finally go in your favor. It's time.

I should have mentioned that the link takes you to a 5 day course, free of charge.

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Ed thank you. 

M1, I’ll be praying for you also. Truly hope things will be better for you and your dear wife. 

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more