Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

When will the ball drop?

My DH has seemed "normal" for the past week. It is times like this, I think, he doesn't have (early) Alzheimer's. 
Have you experienced this in the early stages? Is this normal? Can I expect this over a long period of time? 
I keep waiting for the ball to drop....

Comments

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Care4mom2 yeah unfortunately some days are crazy others leave you wondering I have had several bouts of what your describing. This is a slow mo ball drop. I try to live in the moment especially when things are going good.
  • JJ401
    JJ401 Member Posts: 312
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions
    Slow mo ball drop is the perfect description. DH is in the early stages. We lead a very predictable life (if it’s Tuesday we… type). He does well in this context. But, when the unexpected occurs, he gets thrown off and his difficulties are obvious. Previously presenting difficulties I expect. When new difficulties show up, somehow it still surprise me.
  • Arrowhead
    Arrowhead Member Posts: 361
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    Dementia is a rollercoaster. There are ups and down, twists and turns. Sometimes the progression is slow and sometimes it's fast. It continually changes. Symptoms may occassionally appear to improve, but it's only tempory. You will never know what's next until it happens.
  • CStrope
    CStrope Member Posts: 487
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    I have been writing down when something unusual happens.  It helps to remind myself on those good days, that there is decline and that things aren't going to just suddenly be better.  When you're dealing with these very small changes on a daily basis, it can be hard to look at the overall situation objectively and see what is really happening.
  • Crkddy
    Crkddy Member Posts: 84
    Fourth Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions
    Care4Mom2, my DW is 4+ years since EO diagnosis.  I have experienced the same.  There have been good days and bad days, and more often good and bad within a day.  I was told by others to expect a long slow decline, and that is proving true.  I'm thankful for the glimpses of "normalcy" that I know will not last long.
  • DrinaJGB
    DrinaJGB Member Posts: 425
    100 Comments First Anniversary

In our case at least that ball will drop and then it will bounce back again. DH had another assessment with his neurologist yesterday.No changes.

Last summer after testing he was diagnosed with mixed dementia and nothing has changed much since then except he had to be taken off aricept due to side effects.

What I have noticed is his short term memory has actually improved somewhat. He had a set back from the medication which caused nightime incontinence but now that issue is resolved once again.He has dealt with incontinence since his brain inury so that in itself has been a roller coaster.

Doc indicated that this mild state can last years, and here we are in year 12 since the viral invasion of his brain which caused near fatal encephalitis.

It seems to be up to the universe how these things progress. And we as caregivers are often left just scratching our heads.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more