Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Need your help. What can I tell husband

Paris20
Paris20 Member Posts: 502
Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions
My husband, diagnosed with AD in 2015, had a stroke a couple of weeks ago. He is going to be discharged from the hospital rehab unit next week. We have a very good place for him to continue care. It is assisted living with add-on nursing and rehab services. He will have 24/7 care. He is currently paralyzed on the right side and PT is a real challenge. I think his progress will be minimal.
My question is this. What do we tell him when he is moved from the hospital to the next facility? I should add that it is a beautiful property, very clubby-looking, in our university town. It really looks and feels like a B&B. Half the time DH doesn’t know where is is anyway, but my daughters and I are looking for the best fiblet. Any and all ideas are welcome.

Comments

• jmlarue
    jmlarue Member Posts: 511
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes
    I tend to think that the best fiblet is the simplest - "The doctors say you need more rehab. We've found a better place than this to help you."
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    I agree. No need to go anywhere else with this. KISS principle.
  • Buggsroo
    Buggsroo Member Posts: 573
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    I think Jmlarue’s advice is spot on. I took my husband for a follow up with the geriatric psychiatrist and he wanted why we were going so I told him the doctor wanted to see him. He accepted that. It was a great session, the doctor had Jon chatting away and I got my letter to enact the poa. I am also going to revisit daycare because My hubby enjoyed being out and about. I also could use the break.
  • Gig Harbor
    Gig Harbor Member Posts: 564
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    Just tell him that it is a better rehab unit. Good luck to both of you.
  • ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,013
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions
    jmlarue’s explanation sounds perfect to me. And it’s true, not really a fiblet at all. I hope the move goes smoothly.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more