Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Have a great day! Not appropriate to say!

Lills
Lills Member Posts: 156
Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Care Reactions
DH died on April 30th.  I'm still in the process of contacting insurance companies, banks, Social Security, etc.   When I say I'm calling to report a death, of course, the person on the phone first says something like, "I'm sorry for your loss".  But... they always end with the phrase, "Have a great day!"  I find this phrase so annoying in this situation.  I don't think that's possible right now.  I realize it's not the end of the world but I question why they think I would be having a "great day or great weekend" if I'm reporting a death.

Comments

• easy23
    easy23 Member Posts: 200
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    I am sorry for your loss
  • Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,406
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    It’s not appropriate to say.  They are just used to ending all their calls that way and don’t stop and think about this specific call they are on. It’s very thoughtless of them
  • WA wife
    WA wife Member Posts: 1
    Sixth Anniversary First Comment
    May just say in a sad voice that you are trying but that it is hard. i think this would make them stop and realize what they said and maybe be more careful in the future.
  • jmlarue
    jmlarue Member Posts: 511
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes
    I know what you're talking about and completely agree. So many people in service roles are mindless drones reading a script. Maybe that's how they cope with their dead-end jobs. I dread calling the VA and getting the trite phrase, "Thank your husband for his service." Before dementia set in, my DH would bristle at the empty words. I do too.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    WA wife wrote:
    May just say in a sad voice that you are trying but that it is hard. i think this would make them stop and realize what they said and maybe be more careful in the future.

Excellent!

Lills, I can't imagine how hard it is. Prayer coming for you.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • dayn2nite2
    dayn2nite2 Member Posts: 1,132
    Eighth Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    I am one of the people who takes calls you have described.  Not only do we have to end the call with a cheery finish, we are also told to say "I'm sorry for your loss."  Nothing is left to chance and we have to follow script because there is generally someone listening to the call who is grading us.  Not getting a passing score usually involves some sort of performance improvement program, possibly being written up, could be losing your job, and we are not improving the appropriateness of what we say, but whether we are saying what we're told to.  

Sorry, but thought I would add a little context.
  • Gig Harbor
    Gig Harbor Member Posts: 564
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Thanks for explaining that. It must be very frustrating for you.

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    It is a very sad world we live in, people are not allowed to be sincere or even human. Script’s written by someone who has nothing to do with “real people.”
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Lills I am sorry for your loss.
  • CStrope
    CStrope Member Posts: 487
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Lills, so so sorry for your loss. Something we all think about when we first hear that diagnosis, but yet I'm not sure we're ever completely ready for it.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more