Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Widow Brain

LadyTexan
LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Last week-ish I posted:

I am experiencing some minor physical symptoms that I am attributing to the grief. For example, headaches, forgetfulness, scattered thoughts, even chest pain. Although I attribute the symptoms to my grief, I will see my doctor Friday for the opinion of a medical professional. See the original post at https://www.alzconnected.org/discussion.aspx?g=posts&t=2147560863

I saw the doctor on Friday as scheduled. He probed in detail regarding the chest pain. Based on my responses, neither of us is worried about heart problems. The doctor explained the forgetfulness and scattered thoughts are likely because my husband is always on my mind and I am processing my grief. Because my mind is so focused on DH, everything else is getting less brain energy, hence the scattered thinking. He did not call it widow brain, but my symptoms seem to be common after the death of a loved one.

Although widow brain doesn't seem to be a medical term, it is a real thing.

Comments

• Lills
    Lills Member Posts: 156
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Care Reactions
    LT, I have this too...  Today, for example, I sat down to write some thank you notes.  I got two done.  I have the attention span of a gnat.  The week DH died, I had a scratchy throat and my chest hurt too; I took a Covid test but it was "Widow Brain".
  • tcrosse
    tcrosse Member Posts: 44
    Third Anniversary 10 Comments
    Widower brain exists as well. I was glad to see that it exists, because I was afraid that I was coming down with dementia after DW passed away. I became more than usually absent-minded and struggled to remember words. Anyway, it's getting better, or I think it is.
  • Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,406
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    I have heard that widows/ widowers should not make major life decisions( retiring. Selling the house, etc) for  at least six months after they lose their spouse.  I’ve always thought it’s because you don’t think clearly for several months.  So I think you can look forward to clearer thinking over the winter.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Lady, I'm glad they found nothing wrong physically. I don't know what it's like losing a spouse, but I'm sure it takes time to be living again.
  • NylaBlue
    NylaBlue Member Posts: 65
    10 Comments Second Anniversary
    The recommendation to avoid making major decisions or changes for at least six months is a good one. When my father died, my mother quit her job, sold their home, took social security, moved to another city with one of my siblings and made a big”investment” in their new business, all within a few months. It was a disaster, financially and emotionally.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more