Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Things taken for granted, now appreciated

Ed1937
Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
We live right next to a bike trail, where people walk their dogs, jog, bike, or just go for a walk. I used to walk the trail for 3 miles just about every day, but the last two years that didn't happen. I just tried getting my wife in a wheel chair, and walking the trail. WOW! Did we both enjoy that! She keeps saying how nice they keep up the surrounding area. We've been out 4 times in the last week, walking a mile to a mile and a half at a time. It's a lot slower pushing a wheel chair, but I get my exercise, and she gets out of the house.

Comments

• Pam BH
    Pam BH Member Posts: 195
    100 Comments Second Anniversary
    Kudos for your resourcefulness! That is great news that you found something you could both enjoy doing together.
  • Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,678
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Glad you thought about doing that.  Good for both of you.
  • Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Dear Ed; how wonderful; it must feel good to get out and about in the outdoors.  One more way to bring a smile to your wife and good for both of you.

I also want to tell you how much I admire you.   Your common sense approach, kindness and practical caring are really and truly inspirational.   You are a man in his 80's, and have found ways to manage the challenges with intelligence and a lot of that common sense even in the worst of times.  When you found yourself struggling, you put one foot in front of the other and took a series of classes to assist with problem issues and emotions.  You have even researched plans for needs that may well arise in the future.  No wonder you have such a wonderful set of adult children; look who their father is and how he approaches the challenges both large or small.

Thank you also for all the sharing and helpful input here on this Forum - you have helped so much with practical information and you inspire many.

You are a blessing to all of us and most of all, to your dearly beloved wife.  Sending warm wishes for blessings, both large and small to find you.

J.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,722
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Ed that's just great on all fronts.  Glad for you.
  • Lynne D
    Lynne D Member Posts: 276
    100 Comments Second Anniversary
    Yay for both of you! Thanks for sharing.
  • ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,015
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

Ed, what a great idea! That’s great exercise for you and a lovely outing for her.

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Ed, that’s so beautiful, thank you for sharing! Even better your wife enjoyed it too. Sometimes it is the simple little things that we can forget that can bring so much pleasure!
  • Cherjer
    Cherjer Member Posts: 227
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes
    That makes me so happy to hear that!!! Keep doing what you are doing...good for you and good for your DW.
  • Gig Harbor
    Gig Harbor Member Posts: 564
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    What a great idea. I am glad she is enjoying getting out and you get to stay fit. Pushing a wheelchair is not easy.
  • mrl
    mrl Member Posts: 166
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes

Oh Ed,

You never cease to amaze me..rock on!!!

Michele

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    Win, win! That is no easy feat yet you had the idea, followed through on it, and you both benefitted from getting out in nature. Setting the bar high here, Mayor
  • jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,768
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    Brilliant!!!!!!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia