Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

too much sleep

My DW is at the MS level.  She has stopped being interested in reading, watching TV, listening to music, playing simple games, etc.  In other words she seems only interested in sleeping during the day.  She will sleep as long as I let her.  When she gets up she almost immediately wants to go back to bed.  Some days she can be in bed a total of 15 hours (in 2-3 hour segments).  I am out of new creative ways for her to extend her time during the day.  Any suggestions are appreciated.

Comments

• Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

My DW sleeps 12 or more hours per night, and is tired and cranky if she gets less sleep.  I let her sleep.  She clearly needs the rest.  

Welcome to the board.

• Gig Harbor
    Gig Harbor Member Posts: 564
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    My husband sleeps from 10pm to 7am and takes no naps during the day. I would love him to sleep.
  • sunshine5
    sunshine5 Member Posts: 148
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments
    If u mention to the doctor, he can give u a prescription to help her stay alert, sleep less!
  • Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 682
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary

I'm in the opposite situation. DH won't sleep and won't let me sleep, watch TV, listen to music, read, knit, paint, nothing!! So I would sit there in the stairwell watching him pace in the foyer all night long until my poor body couldn't stay up any longer and I'd lie down on the stairwell. Then he'd grab me to get up. I tried locking myself in a bedroom and he nearly broke the door down. When I resisted, I got so bruised up with him grabbing my arms/wrists and yanking. I had to call 911 3x within 2 weeks. The dr. is still working on finding the right combo of meds. The last 2 days, 1mg of Ativan 2x/day seems to be holding.

I wish so much for him to sleep, so that I may get some sleep and get some chores done or simply do the things I enjoy to give myself a break from this 24/7 caregiving.

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Sahuarita - welcome. It is not a group that anyone wants to need, but this is the most knowledgable and caring team of experts you will find for the dementia journey.

I am with the other members who said they envy you! I am praying my DH hits that stage and will a. use it to catch up on lost sleep myself, b. get something done around the house for a change, c. maybe garden, read a book, make something...all things I can't do with a DH who sleeps less than 8 hours a night (with interruptions) and rarely sits still during the day. All day. exit seeking or rummaging, moving and "hiding" things.  If only he would nap long hours!

Count your blessings on the sleep matter at least. I found a link for you that explains more about what Stuck was saying. Our PWD LOs sleep needs are very different than ours. The failing brain is working much harder and she needs the sleep. Is it typical for people with dementia to sleep a lot during the day?

It can't hurt at all to just let her be, right? Not sure how old your LO is? Or what MS stage is exactly...Try not to feel guilty as if you are not trying hard enough to entertain or engage her. It is the disease that is changing her in invisible ways. We just have to adjust to that fact.

Good luck to you and do keep reading and posting. So much wisdom here. 

• Larrytherunner
    Larrytherunner Member Posts: 83
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes

Recent research indicates that excessive sleep in patients with Alzheimer's is due to neuron damage in certain areas of the brain. There may not be much you can do other than accept it.

https://www.sciencefocus.com/news/sleepiness-in-alzheimers-patients-is-caused-by-damage-to-neurons-that-help-us-stay-awake/

• Kevcoy
    Kevcoy Member Posts: 129
    Fourth Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    Sleep, or lack of it is a big issue at my house.  DH would get up at 2:00am and wander around the bedroom, look out the window and always see something that wasn't there and let me know.  I tell him to go back to bed and that would last about half an hour then up again until I finally say go in the other room and let me sleep.  A bit of a fix for me was when I got Covid and made him sleep in the guest room.  Even though that was about a month ago it's funny how my Covid comes back at bedtime.
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Kevcoy In my dw world it seems covid is never gonna go away.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more