Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Another fall - another ER visit

Ed1937
Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
This morning she fell, and hit the door frame (I think). She went most of the day without complaining, but in afternoon complained about her wrist. I took her to the ER. Broken wrist in two places. But to make matters even sweeter, she had a BM in her pants just before we got to the ER. I didn't go home. I told one of the girls there about the problem (hoping they would get her in and out, which didn't happen), and she said they would clean her up. But it was about another hour or more before they called her in. Luckily, I had a "travel bag" in the car, with a complete change of clothes, socks, and incontinence underwear. Good thing I had that because her pants were dirty too. First time I've had to use it. She came home with a splint, and needs to see a "bone doc", as they called it, for a cast. Just another day.

Comments

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,408
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    Ed, I’m so sorry.  The ER must have been stressful for both of you, I know it has been when I’ve taken Mom. I hope she was able to take something for the pan.  Do they think everything is in place and she can just have a cast?  Although that will  be stressful too.
  • jmlarue
    jmlarue Member Posts: 511
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes
    Doggone it. A terrible experience for both of you. Hopefully, you can get her in for the hard cast soon. My DH would probably have the splint dismantled while I went to the kitchen for coffee. Hopefully, your DW doesn't have those tendencies. Hope she heals quickly and has minimal pain.
  • 60 falcon
    60 falcon Member Posts: 201
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes

Sorry to hear that, Ed.  Hopefully she's not hurting and that she only needs a cast. Sounds like you handled it well.

That's win for you being prepared. I have my wife's "travel bag" with us wherever we go and luckily haven't needed it yet for a bm.

• Davegrant
    Davegrant Member Posts: 203
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Ed:

It was good that you were prepared.  I will make such a bag this week and put it in my car. Thanks for sharing.

Dave

• Ed1937
    It went better than expected. Total of four hours in ER, but I expected it to be longer because they were packed. Doc said there were two breaks, but neither one was bad. When she was crying out in pain, they asked her where it hurt. She said she didn't know. Got her in for X-rays, and she fell asleep, so I had to hold her hand in position for the images. She's now up, and does not seem to be in pain.
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,722
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Ed I'm so sorry.  Falls and choking--both so hard to prevent as things progress.  Your preparedness clearly paid off.
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Ed I’m so sorry! Hope they can get the hard cast on soon. Having your bag just is a reminder to all of us how important being prepared is. Glad you had it. Hope you and your wife have a good day today.
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Along with everyone else sorry for your dw, and kudos, you're teaching us to always be prepared. Ed were you a boy scout? They would have a all different set of badges for our age group, and you have got them already.
  • A losing hand.
    A losing hand. Member Posts: 44
    Tenth Anniversary 10 Comments

Ed, 

I also had a extra pair of pants for me incase I got dirty cleaning her up.

Take care of yourself and good luck. 

• Pam BH
    Pam BH Member Posts: 195
    100 Comments Second Anniversary
    Ed, I'm so sorry. You handled it so well even though that must have been so stressful on so many different levels, knowing she was in pain, her not knowing where and sometimes not realizing it hurt, and then the BM aftermath while you wait. Thanks for the reminder to have a bag ready. That's something I've kept putting off but today sounds like a good day to do it.
  • Michael Ellenbogen
    Michael Ellenbogen Member Posts: 991
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions

Can I share this with emergency room doctors as I am on a committee with them. I think this may be helpful to them.

• Ed1937
    Michael Ellenbogen wrote:

Can I share this with emergency room doctors as I am on a committee with them. I think this may be helpful to them. 

Absolutely, Michael. I think all the ERs keep incontinence underwear on hand, but to keep costs down, and profits up, the ones they buy are almost useless.

• Lynne D
    Lynne D Member Posts: 276
    100 Comments Second Anniversary

Ed, I am sorry to hear about your challenges. Your calm and patience is an example to us, as is your preparedness. I, too, will be adding a travel bag to my car.

• markus8174
    markus8174 Member Posts: 76
    Fifth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions
    I was surprised by the speed of the ER staff's action. I would have expected you to have to put her in the car and clean her up at home before ER staff would do anything about an incontinent patient.  When I worked acute care, I would occasionally find myself assigned to ER for the shift. I never met a more inconsiderate, compassionless bunch than the nurses than those that worked that department. If it wasn't coding a cardiac patient or doing the work-up of a major trauma victim, they weren't interested. You could move heaven and earth before you'd get them out of their chair and off their phones.
  • A. Marie
    A. Marie Member Posts: 118
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

I like toolbeltexpert's idea of merit badges for us caregivers. We could call ourselves Caregiver Scouts. Let's see: the Emergency Car Kit badge, the Coping with the ER badge, the DPOA/HCP badge, the Other Paperwork badge, the Depends badge for dealing with incontinence...the list could go on and on. 

Ed1937, of course, has already gained Eagle Scout rank. And, Ed, I join everyone else in sympathy re: the ER experience and hopes that your DW is not in great pain after the wrist fractures.

• Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

What a tough day, Ed, for both you and your DW.  Thanks for sharing your ER experience, including the back up change of clothes.  

Hope your DW is recovering well. 

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney