Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Update from poo corner

Buggsroo
Buggsroo Member Posts: 573
500 Comments 100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions

hi everyone,

Just wanted to update you all about my husband and his kitchen sink antics. I had posted this before that my husband left turds in the kitchen sink. Someone from the forum suggested a board to cover the sink. I thought about it and realized I had a big cutting board so I started to cover the drain in the sink. So far, great. No surprise turds in the sink. 

Now if I could stop him from going outside in his birthday suit. I think I am going to leave a note on the door saying clothes must be worn to go outside. The neighbours mentioned it to me and I apologized like a madman, we have a school and a daycare across the street so this is serious. 

Comments

• 60 falcon
    60 falcon Member Posts: 201
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes
    Awesome.  That's a big win! Hopefully it lasts.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Buggs, isn't it great to have a forum where others think of the simple solutions? Glad it's working for you.

Re: door locks. I'm using these from the link, but I use the two inch size. I put them six to eight inches above my wife's head, and she never sees them, and she can't figure out how to open the doors. https://tinyurl.com/4vmfmr3f

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Buggsroo, glad the cutting board worked, great win! One down and one to go! Best of luck on the door!
  • May flowers
    May flowers Member Posts: 758
    500 Comments Third Anniversary
    I’m glad the poo issue is solved (for now), as for the other - would he be willing to wear the jumpsuits that zip up the back?
  • Buggsroo
    Thanks everyone, well it was great while it lasted. I woke up to turds in the sink again. So now I will write a note and see if that works. I have a very old door, 19th century so the lock is below eye level. I will post a note and see if that helps. However, I have decided to keep blocking off the drain and hope for the best. Oh well sigh.
  • ElCy
    ElCy Member Posts: 151
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions
    Could you place a large basin in the sink lined with garbage bag?
  • ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,015
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

Just when I was going to suggest a 4x8 plywood “cutting board” leaning against the doorway I saw your post. I guess that wouldn’t have been very safe anyway.

Elcy, that’s a great idea!

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 851
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes
    The basin and garbage bag sounds like it might work.  I sure hope so!  And I hope you can figure out how to keep him from going outside in his birthday suit.  Best of luck to you.
  • [Deleted User]
  • Buggsroo

Well the note ended up being a dismal failure. I came down this morning to sh-- everywhere. I used Clorox to clean the scene, then just as I got everything cleaned, another accident. I lost it with him, we ended up in a huge fight and me in tears sigh. 

On the upside I brought some clothing downstairs for him to wear before he goes outside. This has worked quite well. I tell him each time to get dressed before he goes outside, it might be percolating into his damaged brain. I was so discouraged to go visit my mom, so cancelled and went downstairs and knit until I regained my composure. Then I went to the grocery store and bought more Clorox. That made me feel better.

• [Deleted User]
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Buggs I know what you mean, losing it is hard. But I am glad you got a win on his clothes. You should have lady Texan blue glove award. I guess that's the one award you don't pass around or kiss though.
  • Buggsroo

Hi, yes I understand about fights and the like. It is rough on both of us. I am only human and so is my husband. Usually it is pretty calm around here, I use humour to defuse the situation but sometimes I get frustrated. 

He is dressing to go outside, I just tell him to put on his clothes and shoes and that works pretty well. He didn’t want a shower today so decided not to press it. He may be amenable later to one. Fingers crossed. 

I have been putting the cutting board over the sink drain and the dishpan on top. That has been working so far. I cut out a lot of dairy in his diet and not so many accidents. I guess what I am trying to say is that it is a process. Learning as I go.

As for Lady T’s blue gloves, got a special heavy duty pair blue ones just for poo. Works great.

• [Deleted User]
  • Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    Buggsroo wrote:

I cut out a lot of dairy in his diet and not so many accidents.  

Good idea.  Also, NASA scientists found that eggs digest almost completely and make very little poop.  Good to know if you're an astronaut or have incontinence problems.  I am partial to the veggie omelet, and to French toast.
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Buggsroo so glad the cutting board and trash can is working! I honestly don’t know how you do what you have to do! And the clothes idea is working! You got yourself a couple of wins. Hope they continue. 

• Buggsroo

Victoria20, Glad I remind you of Cats. I loved that musical, went to see it with an ex boyfriend and during the intermission they let us up to explore the garbage pile set. Wonderful.

My husband is pacing a lot, he is getting worse and it is sad. Our psw comes and he talks to him. She is very good with him, I have learned a lot from her. I find I have better results when I speak gently to him. That seems to work. I still get treated to idiot and bitch but just shrug it off. 

I make my husband omelets with ham and turkey, he tolerates those very well.

• DorisEmma
    DorisEmma Member Posts: 36
    Third Anniversary 10 Comments
    Buggsroo - It made me feel better that you admitted to getting angry.  Like you, I too know that getting angry does not help the situation, but like you, we are human and sometimes it just gets to be too much.  Unfortunately, afterwards, I feel terrible about my anger.  Fortunately, after I calm down and a bit of time has passed, he has forgotten we even argued and we can just go on with our lives.
  • Kibbee
    Kibbee Member Posts: 229
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

Bugsroo - I give you big props for persevering through the poo misplacement.  A situation like that would have made some folks throw in the towel and say "that's it, I'm done!!", but you hung in there and used patience and creativity to address the problem.  

My DH has also had some poop-cidents, because on occasion the feeling of urgency combined with his mobility issues made it a challenge to get to the bathroom quickly enough.  Once I realized I could not get him to the bathroom in time, I just told him to relax, do what you need to do, and I'll help you to get cleaned up.  As long as he listens to me, things are manageable and the results can be dealt with via gloves, wipes, shave cream and a stick of incense burning near by to freshen the air.  But a few times I haven't been immediately aware of the situation and he has tried to help by removing his underwear and attempting to clean up.  For some reason his go to solution is to take off his socks and use them to mop up the "stuff" which only serves to spread the joy around, thereby turning an unpleasant but manageable situation into a larger mess with unknown boundaries.  Whenever that happens I feel like The Cat In The Hat trying to clean up that pink bathtub ring, only to have it spread further and further all over the house!  Sigh - where is the "Vroom" when you need it?

• Buggsroo
    I love the cat in the hat analogy, loved that book. My husband tries to help and yes there is poo smeared everywhere. Gulp, it is quite upsetting but am trying to cope. He likes to eat with his fingers which have poo on them. I make him wash his hands after one of these ‘adventures’.
  • June45
    June45 Member Posts: 365
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions

Buggs, you are among the top candidates for "caregiver extraordinaire!" I couldn't deal with poop everywhere day in, day out.

Let us know if the portable toilet in the kitchen solves the sink problem.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more