Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Gonna have to watch everything

Today my dw was trying to treat a feral cat that has ear mites bad. So she tried to put the drops in the ear but the cats not gonna have it. So she comes in looking for triple antibiotics to treat the places behind the ears, she goes out and comes back in and asks, is this supposed to go in the ear or the outside, yep I better help. I can tell things are getting more confused, she went looking for cat treats in the cleaning chemical cabinet. I was hoping I wasn't gonna have to child proof everything but I know that's coming.

Comments

• John1965
    John1965 Member Posts: 104
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Comments
    My DW shaved her own legs for the last time. She put shaving cream on the head of the razor and started to swirl it with her finger. I caught her in the “nic” of time.
  • Vitruvius
    Vitruvius Member Posts: 323
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

About a year ago DW found a big paper scissors and tried to cut her own hair. The result was not good, but not hopeless. Fortunately a local hair salon was able to make the best of it. Needless to say I hid all scissors or so I thought. Soon after DW found a tiny nail scissors and tried again but didn't do much damage. I have since rounded up anything at all that can cut. I have to say I keep a close eye on her but she did these while in the bathroom by herself. Due to increasing incontinence this is becoming rare as well so there is a minor silver lining in that I can monitor her ALL the time (oh joy).

• Bob in LW
    Bob in LW Member Posts: 91
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions
    TB, Your experience is quite familiar to me.  My SO, who has short term memory problems and never knows where to find anything, especially in the kitchen.  As a result, I prefer to put things away so that I will know where to find them, since I do most of the cooking.  There are also times when she will forget how to do something that she always does every day.  I have learned that when she is confused about something it goes back to her memory problems because she has forgotten certain details which would otherwise help her to understand it.
  • Kevcoy
    Kevcoy Member Posts: 129
    Fourth Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    I can't imagine trying to put drops in the ears of our indoor cats much less a feral.  Good for her for trying and good for you to help her.
  • Rescue mom
    Rescue mom Member Posts: 988
    500 Comments Fourth Anniversary 5 Likes

My DH with Alzheimer’s tried twice with our little dog to “clean her up a little” using straight bleach,  and chemical cleaners meant for tile and outdoor concrete. I was so lucky to be right there and see what he was doing.

Dog was not hurt, but that was when I took all that stuff away. I could not leave it in his “reach.” anymore. He adored the dog, would never hurt her intentionally.  But they don’t know what they’re doing. Pets are so vulnerable to a PWD.

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

VITRUVIUS. I have a question when you hid all the scissors, did that become a trigger for dw looking for them. I don't think I could get away with that she still does some crocheting and uses her sewing machine. She must have a hundred pair or more, well I just thought about that she may lose them so I won't  have to.It is getting more difficult she has started saying why isn't this coming out right. I still encourage her that nobody will know it's off one stitch.

John1995 I love the pun, but I'll bet you kinda had a sigh of relief, sooo scary even reading that.

Bob,  I am slowly being allowed to cook, mostly pasta dishes, I understand putting stuff away I never no where the cat food bowls are gonna end up

Kevcoy we seem to be a magnet for lost cats. At one time we had 13 mostly all indoor cats. When the last one of that bunch died 20 yrs old we were not gonna have any more,till a momma cat showed up on our porch and had a litter, I figure God wanted my dw to enjoy them. That's the present bunch all outdoors.plus a walk up we call tigger He's an old tom.

• abc123
    abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    A truly feral cat is extremely dangerous and can cause extreme damage to a human. Cat scratch fever does exists. I worked at our local animal shelter. Please be careful.
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    I have been! when I help, I wrap the cat in thick towels, and when that doesn't work, the cats on it's own. She doesn't fight with them but I get what your saying.Over the years we've had tons of strays, some live a few years, they eat good here. We have plenty of deck, about 90 feet of covered deck with chairs pillows,beds blankets, we have a green house they can access in the winter there is a heating pad. And we have a green house attached to the house with limited heat, they can come and go as they please via cat door. I bought a she shed and I call it "Judy's cozy cat shack. First thing it got a cat door, I wired it,  insulated it, I put up bead board. I hope to heat and cool it. Only 8x12.i put a stone patio out front, we have some half circle two pier planter tables one under each window. I bought the she shed used needed lots of tlc, dw was there to prep the pickup late last fall, she didn't remember any of it. I guess it was my wild dreams that she was gonna be interested. The next owners will love it.
  • Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    I could deal with a bad haircut, but DW takes a slew of meds including Warfarin.  She would take her Thursday bedtime meds and take her Friday AM meds five minutes later if I let her, or go days without taking any.  That's the main thing I have to watch, for now.
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Tb, it is amazing the things our lo can get into! Two greenhouses, I would love to have just one! I love to experiment with grafting different plants and seeing the results. 

Abc, you are so right about cat scratch fever. When our son was 8, a friend of ours had 2  cats and they were moving and could not take them. She knew how much he loved her cats, they were declawed and strictly house cats, only let them out once in a while. Long story short, we took cats, son played soccer, when a bruise showed up on his arm, just thought it was from game. This got bigger and and was swollen and very hard. Took him to doctor who referred us to surgeon. He knew right away what it was (he knew because his daughter had just had it) anyway surgery and while he was under doctor felt under sons armpit and discovered a large mass of more tumors! Nearly lost our son because of this. No more cats for us. True it is very rare but it is real! 

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more