Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

My only post today

Ed1937
Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Wife in hospital. TIA. Positive Covid test. Screaming to get out. Bad language. Trying to get out of bed. Finally had to restrain her. Probably going to MC when released

Comments

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    So sorry to hear ed,I know your gonna be busy for a while. I will be praying for you both.
  • A. Marie
    A. Marie Member Posts: 118
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    Ed1937, I am so, so sorry that things have taken this bad turn for your wife and you. You have been an absolutely wonderful example of selfless caregiving--but it sounds as if the time has come for placement. Please don't sacrifice your own health and well-being any further. I (and everyone else here, I'm sure) will be keeping you in my/our thoughts.
  • Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    Thanks for letting us know, Ed.   What a distressing turn of events.  I hope you are getting the medical advice you need, and that your wonderful family is rallying around you to provide the support you and your DW need.
  • jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,768
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

oh, no....been there with husband in restraints...my heart goes out to you

please keep us in the loop 

• Battlebuddy
    Battlebuddy Member Posts: 331
    100 Comments Third Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

So sorry Ed. You have been an amazing caregiver. I know you have been on the fence about placement. It sounds like the time has come. 

I will be praying that it can be as good as possible a transition 

• Twin Mom
    Twin Mom Member Posts: 81
    Seventh Anniversary 10 Comments
    Ed I am so sorry.  You have really fought this battle so hard...my prayers are with your family.  This is just so hard.
  • Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,408
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Ed

I’m so sorry.   That is a lot of stress for both of you.  Please try your best to rest and  take this one day at a time.  We are here for you
  • loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,078
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Ed, so very sorry for this turn of events.

As everyone here knows, you have done all you can to keep DW at home, yet circumstances don't always allow what we want.

Prayers for both of you that this trying time will soon be resolved.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,722
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Oh Ed.......I was where you are two months ago.  Please take care of yourself, have you tested for covid too?  Probably should.  Hope the social workers can help you find a good place for her.
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Ed prayers for you and your wife and family. Take one step at a time! Get some rest when you can. 

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,364
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes
    Mayor Ed-

I am so sorry to hear of this turn of events. My thoughts are with you, your lovely wife and family.

HB
  • June45
    June45 Member Posts: 365
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions
    So sorry Ed, it sounds like you have been through the wringer.  Dementia is hell.
  • ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Oh no - what a terrible set of circumstances. Thank you for grabbing a moment to update us. Praying for you and for your dear wife to get the care she needs at this moment, with the best care plan possible after the crisis subsides.

It does seem like with a TIA and her recent fall (and broken wrist?) that she may need MC for a time at least. Just try it if possible. You surely need a respite Ed. Been there, done that with the restraints though DH got out of them somehow since the candy-striper they sent to put them on him underestimated his calm, but determined, escape artistry.  

She is in good hands. I hope you can get some rest. We will be thinking about you both...

• abc123
    abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    Dear Ed, I’m so so sorry about this. You are both in my prayers.
  • Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Dear Ed, I am really sorry for what has happened.  You and your dear wife will be in my thoughts and prayers.  So hope that the physicians will be able to provide medication to ease things for your wife.  You have probably already done so, but if not, it would be best if you would also be tested for COVID.  If positive, there is medication that can be prescribed within five days of the onset which can assist.

Your decision for transferring your wife to care seems a sound one based on her much increased needs.  Having been there, it was easier to manage going straight from the acute hospital by ambulance transfer into long term care.

When you have the time, let us know how you are.

J.

• Paris20
    Paris20 Member Posts: 502
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions
    Ed, I’m so sorry. I am dealing with similar issues. I know how awful, stressed, and strained you must feel. Just know that we sympathize and empathize.
  • ladyzetta
    ladyzetta Member Posts: 1,028
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Dear Mayor Ed.

I am so sorry this is happening. You have been a very loving caregiver for your DW. I am sure you knew this was coming. Please take it one day at a time and remember we are all out here for you. I agree you should get the covid test, it's time for you to take good care of yourself. You both are in my prayers.  Hugs Zetta 

• caberr
    caberr Member Posts: 211
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments
    I am so sorry.  Praying for you and your wife.
  • Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Ed, I will keep you & your family in my prayers. I sorry you are going through all this.
  • 60 falcon
    60 falcon Member Posts: 201
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes

I'm sorry Ed, wishing you and your wife the best.  Hang in there.

• Gig Harbor
    Gig Harbor Member Posts: 564
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    Since Medicare covers rehab can you get her into rehab first to buy you some time to find the right MC? There is nothing worse than seeing a family member in restraints. Hopefully they will find medication to help relieve her anxiety. Good luck.
  • ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,015
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions
    Ed I am so sorry. I hope the Covid is a mild case and that she recovers quickly. Have you been tested? Maybe too early. My DH has been in restraints in hospitals several times because he’s pulled out IV’s and tried to leave. It’s a terrible feeling. Praying for both of you.
  • Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Ed,

I am so sorry.  You must feel so helpless; you have provided such wonderful care for your DH.  To witness restraining her has to break your heart.  Please, please,  just this once, put yourself first.  If placement is too overwhelming, look into rehab as Gig suggested, or perhaps a respite stay at your favored MCF.  And definitely listen to your supportive family, especially your very wise daughter.  We are all pulling for you.  

• Cherjer
    Cherjer Member Posts: 227
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes
    Dear Mayor Ed, After reading all the posts, you are indeed one of the most respected people on this site. Your care for  your DW has helped me deal with my DH. Your family support will help your through this crisis. You are an angel and Godspeed .
  • Pam BH
    Pam BH Member Posts: 195
    100 Comments Second Anniversary
    Ed, I'm so very sorry to hear this. I hope she recovers quickly from the TIA and COVID and that you don't test positive. I know going to MC isn't what you wanted but I also know you're transitioning to accepting and allowing what's best for both of you, whatever that may be.  You are an amazing caregiver, always have been and always will be. Many prayers for both you and your dear wife.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Thank you, friends, for the support. It is golden beyond words.
  • Sligo177
    Sligo177 Member Posts: 165
    100 Comments Second Anniversary
    I am really sorry Ed, I echo what others here say so well. You have been a great example to all of us.  We support you.
  • Boxerlover53
    Boxerlover53 Member Posts: 11
    Third Anniversary 10 Comments

Dear Ed

It's been quite awhile since I've posted or commented on this site but when I read your post I just had to.  When I first came upon this forum I noticed right away your willingness to help others with your caregiving advice.  But what really struck me was your love and dedication to caring for your wife while navigating this horrendous journey.  It saddens me to hear of her decline and the decisions you and your family are faced with regarding the next steps in her care.  I wholeheartedly agree with the others that you've given so much of yourself.  Please take care of yourself and know that I will keep you, your wife and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more