Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

WHAT NEXT(1)

It has now been three weeks since my DW went into a MC facility. The first 2 weeks were very difficult as my DW was trying to “go home” and escaped 2 times. Then went to ER once for something called vagal down. At their recommendation she has also had a private nurse for the past 10 days to help her thru the transition period. They say she seems to be settling down now and i am wondering what comes next?. I have been so anxious from this trama, being separated after 50 years, and joined at the hip, that i am waiting for something else to go wrong. I love her so much, i have to have a friend who is a nurse take all calls that might come in from MC, because i am afraid they are going to give me some bad news again. I am so thankful for that. I am beginning to wonder if I will ever get to see her again and if she will be ok if i do? I realize she will continue to get worse and will i go thru this all over again? These thoughts bring fear and anxiety to me if i allow my mind to think about them. Is this normal or am i just to emotional about it. If you have any thoughts about these issues please respond to my post. 

Thank you for your help

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,722
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Chris I have more empathy than advice--but I share the same feelings.  It's six weeks for us today, and my partner is not settling down/settling in.  We've had no escapes and no ER visits--but I can't visit or talk to her because I only agitate her and get verbally barraged.  She's living in a bare, dismantled room with all of her belongings packed and stacked by the door.  And I get absolutely no information or feedback from the facility unless I call or email to check.  I guess I have to assume that means they are handling everything---but I feel like we are both in prison.  Heartsick isn't the half of it.  I think there is a true chance that I won't be able to see her for a long, long time.  

I am glad if she's starting to settle down, maybe you'll be okay in time.  But I do empathize, it's terrible, terrible.  After 30 years together, to be physically and emotionally separated now is major trauma.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more