Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Tip from MCF

David J
David J Member Posts: 479
100 Comments Third Anniversary
I got a great tip today from the caregivers at the MCF. Background; my wife does not like to get up in the morning and shower. Usual reaction is screaming, fighting and punching. The fantastic CNAs have been absorbing the punches with good humor, but I still have been feeling bad. Someone suggested taking a pool noodle and cutting one foot pieces. One piece  in each of my wife’s hands kept her from punching, and gave her a diversion. A wack from a noodle is better than a punch!

Comments

• jmlarue
    jmlarue Member Posts: 511
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes
    Great idea. Hope the Aides appreciate your concern. Now, how about teaching your wife a few funny sound effects when she lands a softened blow? Think Batman - "Kapow" "Boom" "Crunch" "Zonk" "Bam" Too much? Never mind...
  • JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    There are a few women at DH's facility that I could just see using pool noodles... with sound effects. 

Instead of being upset by their behavior, the caregivers would just have to struggle to contain their laughter.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more