Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

THC

Anybody have any good experience with THC, I have been using CBD for DW to control mood swings but my son suggested looking in to THC. The CBD seems to work on occasion but not always. DW is on Quetiapine low doses three times a day, which also does not seem to help her anger outbursts.

Comments

• jmlarue
    jmlarue Member Posts: 511
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes

Check out this post around mid-May on THC gummies.

https://www.alzconnected.org/discussion.aspx?g=posts&t=2147560787

I am still having good effect for my DH on a low dose of THC (5mg) to tamp down the anger, aggression, and agitation in that "sundowning" period of 3:00pm to bedtime. I had previously tried CBD oil only for the issues over a 90 day trial with no noticeable effect on his behavior. There were no side effects noted either. Initially, I was only offering the THC when the behavior was wearing me to a frazzle. In the past week, I have been giving him a 5mg dose at 3:00 each day - calming effect is seen about 1 hour later and generally last until bedtime around 10:00pm. Pay particular attention to using the Indica variety of THC. It produces a more calming effect on PWD presenting with outbursts and agitation. The Sativa variety often has a mood elevating effect making people more talkative, animated, and greater intoxicated effect that can lead to unsteady gait and falling risk.

I'm no expert - just a caregiver desperate for some relief for both me and my LO. Find a dispensary licensed for medical marijuana for best advice.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more