Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Cell phone for DH with Alzheimers

Jazzma
Jazzma Member Posts: 105
Fifth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

My husband of 35 years has mid-range Alzheimers.  He can still communicate well but cannot figure out how to use a cell phone any more.  I need something very simple, with no passcode, that will allow him to call me and a few others and to reach 911.  I also need to be able to track the phone, and him.  I've looked at the RAZ version (>$300) and there are mixed reviews.  Is there something very basic that you know of?  Anything that's worked for you?

Comments

• JJ401
    JJ401 Member Posts: 312
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

DH had a flip phone until a few months ago. I had to replace it when they discontinued 3G and he ended up with a smart phone that he always carries. He couldn’t use the flip phone and he can’t use the smart phone. But, emergency numbers can be accessed without using the passcode. So the emergency numbers are mine, his daughter, and my son. So if he gets lost somehow, hopefully someone can use his phone to contact us.

(It’s a Tracfone and inexpensive. He also always carries his keys which have a Tile for tracking.)
  • May flowers
    May flowers Member Posts: 758
    500 Comments Third Anniversary

This is the phone we used - very simple and he was able to use it for a long time:

https://www.kisaphone.com.au/

• John1965
    John1965 Member Posts: 104
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Comments

Don’t count on him being able to contact you or 911 regardless of the simplicity or quality of the phone. Dementia is so much more than memory and simplifying as an accommodation.  

What phone has he used in the past? If it’s a smartphone, keep it and delete most apps. Learn how to use parental controls. Severely limit his contact list. 

Does he use social media? Limit what “friends” see his posts. FB Messenger is evil. You cannot delete or block it w/o getting rid of FB altogether. 

Good luck! I’m dealing with similar issues. 

• Cherjer
    Cherjer Member Posts: 227
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes

Several years ago I bought the Echo Dot ( purchased three through Amazon) and thought this would be great as all he had to do was say "Alexia call..." My 10 year old grand-daughter set this up for us,,,however, DH could not say Alexia...now just thinking about this I could have used another name!! I  used to call him when I would be late getting home etc...but he cannot even answer a phone let alone make a call. That's how Alzheimers works its way into our lives, and we need to make changes all the time. Your inquiry  made me think about how my dh could actually answer the phone!

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,364
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes
    Cobbling onto what John1965 said, if he can't use his current phone it may not be possible to find one he can use. 

The loss of short-term/working memory means he will be unable to learn to use a new device regardless of how simple it seems to you. Dad went back to a flip phone after he failed to figure out a new smartphone he insisted he should have but after a time even that became beyond him. It remained a security object-- the muscle memory of having his phone with him stayed a long time-- but he was more likely to point it at the ceiling fan or the TV than attempt to contact anyone. I insisted mom install a landline and found an old Bell Tel phone he could answer but he soon forgot what a ringing phone meant or what to do around that. 

The other concern would be whether he would recognize and emergency and be able to make an emergency call. In the mid-stages my mom replaced her HVAC system and asked me to stay with dad while the techs were there and she went to an appointment. At this time she was still very comfortable leaving dad home alone for an hour or two during the day. I was only there in case the techs had a question and to prevent dad from interfering (he wanted to convert the utility closet into a Jack 'n' Jill suite such was the impact of dementia on his spatial reasoning). While they were soldering the smoke detector went off (they called down to warn me). Dad listened to it for about 30 seconds before asking me what the noise was. I explained it was the smoke detector (even though he'd heard the tech). He waited another 20-30 seconds before standing up and shuffling off to go tell my mom there was a fire. At no point did he call 911 or ask me to. He'd forgotten she wasn't home and would surely had died in the event of an actual fire. We never left him alone again.

A few folks have tested their LOs around this skill. You might consider doing that.

For tracking? How safe a practice this is will be dependent on the stage of dementia. If he's beyond using a phone, he might not still be safe out and about alone. 

My mom used Tiles for a couple years because she's got ADHD and tended to leave phones and handbags behind. I could track her Tile and found it wasn't fabulous in terms of updating. I sometimes tracked her when she was taking a train home and needed to be met at the station. It would show her at a previous location and sometimes not update for quite some time making it pointless for that use but OK if she could find her phone and had left it overnight in my car. 

I hear better reports around Air Tags if you are Apple-people. That said, I track my mom's iPhone/Watch (I forget which one) and it isn't great if she's moving in a car even at, say 35 mph, it gives me a general area as to where she is not a specific location as it does if she home or has run to the store on foot. 

HB

• /STEVE
    /STEVE Member Posts: 15
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes
    My DW went thru this, teach me how to use my phone. I gave up, then told her to find a young person and hand them the phone, tell them I am first on the contact list. (AAAhusband) It worked for the last 6 months.
  • Jazzma
    Jazzma Member Posts: 105
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions.  It made me think about leaving him at home, even though he seems fine watching TV and dozing for hours.  I'm concerned that he can't contact anyone if he is confused or anxious, but I don't know if a phone will still work for him.  I'll try anyway.

This is such a heartbreaking disease.  

• Donr
    Donr Member Posts: 182
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes
    I bought a flip phone for my wife. Open the flip to answer or close the flip to hang up. There are only 3 numbers in the memory but if she has difficulties, I print out my cell phone number on a card that is taped to her phone. So far this has been working.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more