Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

One more question before tomorrow morning

Ed1937
Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
My wife has a lot of beautiful peonies growing now. I was thinking about taking a bunch to the hospital for her tomorrow morning. Would this be a mistake? I'm thinking it might make her ask more about me getting her out of there to come home. But I'm certain she would like them. Comments?

Comments

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Ed did your wife see them daily and recognize or appreciate them at home? If not them I don't  think she would have that trigger. If you just want to make her happy have her cna bring them in as an anonymous gift. She will still enjoy them!
  • Ed1937
    Yes, she loved her flowers. I like the idea about having someone else bring them in. Thanks for the idea.
  • Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Ed, DW’s irises are blooming here and I have been thinking the same thing. My one thought with peonies is they have a strong fragrance, so you might want to check with the nursing staff to see if they have any restrictions on flower types due to allergy concerns.
  • Ed1937
    Joe, I didn't even think about that. Thanks for bringing it up. We also have irises blooming. Might have to switch plans.
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    I think she would like them. I have all kinds of flowers and they are my stress release. All the work that goes into taking care of them brings a lot of joy. The idea of someone else bringing them in to her is a good idea! Best of luck to you today. What a thoughtful husband you are!
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Ed flowers are another amazing thing that all pwd seemed to really enjoy. I worked for a non profit and every now and then they would get pallets of flowers. I mean lots and lots of beautiful flowers. I had the privilege of taking them to nh's. That made everybody's day big time. All the CNA's would take them to every room. I would see them everywhere. I don't get that opportunity anymore. That time was the best part of my life. I really didn't understand what 24/7 caregiving meant back then. But I enjoyed serving others so much, if I ever place my dw I know I will active in that place if possible. Being a pastor did open a lot of doors for me. I thank God for allowing me to serve!
  • jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,768
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    don't forget they always come with ants...lol
  • Ed1937
    jfkoc wrote:
    don't forget they always come with ants...lol

Yeah, ants love peonies. I took them up there this morning, and stayed for an hour. She absolutely loved them, and asked who they were from. I told her I didn't know. I put them on her tray they use for meals. She said she couldn't see them, so I moved them to the window. That worked fine.

When I walked into the room, I said hello, then walked to the side of the bed. She looked at me, then asked who she was speaking with. I told her it was her husband, then she came around. But the whole time I was up there, she kept asking me why I was keeping her there. And she cried some more. She said if I let her come home, she would be good, and wouldn't do anything bad. When I'm up there it is obviously hard on her mentally, but she doesn't want me to leave. I told her I would be back later today.

BTW, Joe, I checked with the hospital on policy, They gave me the green light.

• Ed1937
  • ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Oh Ed- that is such a lovely bouquet!

What a wonderful husband and caregiver you are. I'm glad you were able to visit. Reminds me that my DH used to bring me flowers often. Just because. Bless you.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,768
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    so beautiful!
  • White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 851
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

Ed, the flowers are lovely.  I'm so glad you took them to her.  I hope they brought her some joy.  My prayers are with both of you.

Brenda

• SQBEAR50
    SQBEAR50 Member Posts: 104
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes

Beautiful flowers.

Nicole

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Ed they are absolutely beautiful! I’m sure she loved them! All women love flowers! My dh used to leave one flower on my steering wheel. When I got in car to go to work it made my day.

I hope things will get better for both of you.  

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Oh, how lovely!  The colors are beautiful; she must be enjoying them.  I have never seen a real Peony; they sadly do not grow where I am; neither do lilacs.

I am so sorry about her pleadings, especially when she promises to be good; that hits the heart.  Step by step and so hoping that when she is transferred to MC for "rehab," that she finds it a good and pleasant place and enjoys the socialization and activities.

What a sweet and caring thing to do, bringing hers own peonies to her to enjoy.

J.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney