Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

repetitive behavior

Davegrant
Davegrant Member Posts: 203
Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions

New behaviors from my DW always send me looking for advice and my spouse repeats the same question(s) every day, "who is coming here today? " I am very familiar with this. But she has been having problems with her hearing aid and I made an appointment for tomorrow to get it repaired. She came in the tv room and sat down and said that the batteries on her hearing aid were not working, so she went to the other room and tried all the batteries we have and none of them worked. about two hours later she repeated the same thing and again the third time she went through the whole process.  It did keep her busy for a long time. I am familiar with the verbal repetition but had not experience the physical activity related to repetition. Any thoughts on this. 

Thanks

Dave

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,722
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Just that I saw it too, Dave, a lot.  As long as it's not something harmful, probably nothing to do about it but be glad she's occupied.  With us it was repetitive vacuuming and going through old bills and papers (had to watch for trying to pay old bills that had already been paid).  The repetitive feeding of the cats (including wandering downstairs without lights on at 2 am) was what got unmanageable.
  • Rescue mom
    Rescue mom Member Posts: 988
    500 Comments Fourth Anniversary 5 Likes

In my experience with DH with Alzheimer’s, and reading here, it’s pretty common. As long as she’s not hurting anything, most say let it go. At least she’s busy, and not causing problems. 

My DH would fold things, and rummage through the same small pile of paperwork and junk mail, over and over. And over. And again. I’d try to divert him, thinking he was bored or something, but he was fine just doing (whatever) for hours, for days. Better that than “sorting”neighbors’ outdoor trash or trying to “fix” faucet handles…

• Arrowhead
    Arrowhead Member Posts: 361
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    My wife spends her days wandering the house, moving things from one place to another. At least once a day, I go through the house putting those things back where they belong. That's not too bad as it keeps her busy. Recently, she started turning lights on during the day. Having to turning them off is all the time is getting to be annoying.
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    I am with everyone who said if it's not harmful it is cool. Like m1 my wife would feed the cats multiple times. There are several things along with the repetitive questions.
  • ThisLife
    ThisLife Member Posts: 254
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    What I've noticed with my H is that he discovers something that needs to be fixed. Looks for the solution. Material to make repair is not available. Gives up. A bit later he discovers the issue again and repeats. Sounds like she is discovering the hearing aides don't work again and again.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more