Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

new to this group(2)

AZ
AZ Member Posts: 1 Member
I am new to this group, my husband has Dementia, I need someone to talk. I am in San Jose, CA.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

AZ, welcome to the forum. Sorry you have a need for it, but it is a good one. People here support one another, offer suggestions, share experiences, and they "get it". If there is something on your mind, just post about it, and you will get replies.

You didn't say how long you have been dealing with this, or where he is with progression. But if you haven't yet consulted with a CELA (certified elder law attorney), it's time to do so. This is something you want to do as soon as you can. If you wait too long, you will surely be sorry.

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    AZ, As Ed started this is a great forum with lot of good people with plenty of experience to share. Local caregiver support groups are also a great resource and will provide face to face meetings. You can search for local support groups on the ALZ home page.
  • JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Hi AZ, welcome, and so sorry you had to find us.  My husband also has dementia, diagnosed over 6 years ago at age 51. I finally placed him last March. There are lots of people here in all stages, and a wealth of knowledge and experience.

• Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 682
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary

Hi AZ, so sorry you are a part of this elite group of warriors...

I have recently joined a very helpful local support group who meets every Thursday at 11am via zoom. You may want to check it out at the online address below:

https://seniorsathome.jfcs.org/events/

• Alma Esparza
    Alma Esparza Member Posts: 1
    First Comment

Hi 

Im new and my husband of 63 has been diagnosed with Vascual Dementia and is in denial. would love to talk and learn tools to help me.

• Faith,Hope,Love
    Faith,Hope,Love Member Posts: 191
    100 Comments 5 Likes First Anniversary
    Welcome AZ!  I'm new to this group also.  I've only been a part of this group for a few days and I already have so much respect, and admiration for everyone.  They've answered so many questions for me and supplied me with advice that you can only get from someone who's going thru the same things you are.  Don't be afraid to reach out with questions, comments, etc.  We're all here to help you.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more