Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

DH is stage 7f

Marie58
Marie58 Member Posts: 382
Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments
DH has been eating less and sleeping more the past few weeks. He's lost more weight, is less responsive, and may be in pain. He's non-verbal so we have to go by body language. Hospice doctor put him at 7f on Tues and we're continuing to adjust meds to find the right amount of morphine, etc to keep him comfortable. He was diagnosed 6 years ago this month. I was out of town this weekend and I even noticed a decline when I saw him after just a few days of being absent. The hospice doctor isn't putting a time line out there, but she is gently preparing me for the end. I hate seeing DH like this and I hate this disease. I always hoped something else would take him before he got to this stage...it's awful.

Comments

• June45
    June45 Member Posts: 365
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions

Marie,

I have been thinking about you and your husband lately, wondering how you both have been. I understand the pull of his staying here or leaving this earthly life. Praying for peace for you both.

• Lynne D
    Lynne D Member Posts: 276
    100 Comments Second Anniversary
    Marie, I am so sorry for the suffering this has brought you both. My thoughts are with you. Thank you for caring enough to share your experience to help others who are behind you.
  • Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 682
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary

Hi Marie, my thoughts are with you. My prayers haven't been answered so I'm not going there. I'm viewing death with a very different perspective these days. When my mom passed away 3 years ago, I cried my heart out. Looking back, she was the blessed one, with a pain-free death under palliative care, and this was right before the pandemic hit. I couldn't imagine her having to go through the lock-down. Upon death, she was freed from further suffering. I now see it as her salvation.

I don't know what the grand design plan is, but why are we the "chosen ones" to go through this ordeal with our LO? This disease is worse than anything imaginable. I've cursed at the universe, and all the gods and goddesses, without getting a hint as to why this is happening. So here I am, trying to find answers and solace in this madness. I was once told by a sage that when a person's life journey ends, it's best that we let them go and not hold them back with emotional entanglement so that they may leave peacefully. As I'm such a newbie to being a caregiver, I also know I must prepare myself for the inevitable rough journey and seeing it to the end.

Please take care of yourself and may you find solace through this next phase. Hugs...

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    (((Marie))) - No words of comfort from me will be enough, but know that you and your DH are in our thoughts and also our prayers.
  • JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    (((Marie)))  This must be so difficult to watch. My thoughts are with you.
  • Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Marie,

I am so sorry.  As I recall, our DH’s were progressing at the same rate for awhile.  Sadly, it seems you have passed us on this journey, and although inevitable, it’s still heartbreaking.  I can see my DH failing as well and it tears me up.   I think of you and your DH often, and always, always pray for you.  Stay strong.  

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,408
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    I’m so sorry.  Please try to rest when you can.
  • jmlarue
    jmlarue Member Posts: 511
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes
    This is so hard. We pull out all the stops to be sure our LO lives out their days in relative comfort but, so far, no one has come up with a good way to comfort those of us who wait and watch. I'm so sorry. Sending up prayers for your continued strength as you face the last leg of this journey. Your DH has been blessed to have you by his side.
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Marie I am praying for you.
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Marie I don’t think there are words that truly express our thoughts or feelings at this point in time. Please know that so many of us are thinking of you and your dear husband. Prayers for strength and peace for you both and your family. 

• Buggsroo
    Buggsroo Member Posts: 573
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Marie,

I am sorry you are seeing your husband going through this. It is very hard and sad as well. Nothing about this disease is easy. 

• Marie58
    Marie58 Member Posts: 382
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments
    Thanks everyone for the prayers and good thoughts. Yesterday when I visited he was so much calmer than the day before. He wasn't as fidgety and seemed more relaxed. 

Army, I don't know if he has the strength to curl up. One of his legs is always bent and he moves it around sometimes. We do believe there's some pain there. 

My faith has gotten me through all of this. Doesn't make it easy, but I get peace and hope knowing that God will take DH in His time. And then DH will be done suffering. Blessings everyone.

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Marie, I’m sorry you are at this point in the journey. Like you I always feel that it would be better if some other ailment took DW before she reaches this stage. My thoughts & prayers are with you.
  • Battlebuddy
    Battlebuddy Member Posts: 331
    100 Comments Third Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Dear Marie, 

We are thinking and praying for you. I imagine you are just running on fumes. I’m so glad that he is comfortable , safe, and relatively calm. I’m glad too that you can step away and take care of yourself a little during this difficult final transition. 

Sending hugs  

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,015
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions
    Marie, I wish there was something I could do to help. Know that I am with you in spirit and pain for what you are having to endure. I hope the drugs do their part to keep him pain free and dull any awareness that could be left other than your love for him.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more