Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Dreaming alot

Hi everyone my DH says lately he dreams every time he sleeps and he is sick of it. Has anyone else heard this from your LOs?

Comments

• Pat6177
    Pat6177 Member Posts: 442
    100 Likes Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions
    Hi Judy, my husband started having “vivid dreams” after starting on Donepezil (Aricept) in Nov 2020. This is a common side effect. My DH says the dreams aren’t scary, just vivid. Hers only mildly disturbed by the dreams. His dementia doc told him to take the Donepezil in the am, it’s usually recommended to be taken at night because it can make one sleepy. I don’t think it really made a huge difference in the frequency of the dreams. Is your LO on Donepezil?
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Yesterday when my wife got up she said she didn't get much sleep because she dreamed all night. She take zero medication.
  • JudyMorrowMaloney
    JudyMorrowMaloney Member Posts: 74
    Third Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    Hi Pat, no he is not on Donezil. He is on benzos though. I wonder if that could be doing it. He said they are not nightmares, just dreams. I try to reassure him that we all dream when we sleep but he doesn't seem convinced.
  • Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

I suspect he isn't sleeping soundly for some reason.  That would account for his being aware of his dreams after he wakes.  I woke early this morning, went back to sleep for an hour, and dreamed vividly.  As you said, we all dream, but I actually remember the dreams from that last hour when my sleep was less sound.

I didn't remember my dreams so much when I was young.  Your husband may just be aging, like me.

• Pat6177
    Pat6177 Member Posts: 442
    100 Likes Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions
    FWIW, I just read an article about melatonin and they said that it can cause vivid dreams. If your DH is on melatonin…
  • ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

What Pat said. I just signed in to mention that melatonin supposedly can cause vivid dreams. DH has never reported anything like that, but he has had delusions and hallucinations for at least 3 years -- all different times of the day and night. 

I have to take anything he tells me with a grain of salt as it may or may not have really happened. But sometimes I will say, "no I didn't see those people or that red bird...maybe you dreamed it"?

• macamaw61
    macamaw61 Member Posts: 12
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments

Hi Judy

My DH was having nightmares and Dr 

Suggested taking Doneprezil in AM and

Problem solved. I hope it works for you.

God Bless

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney