Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

MC folks: anyone doing/seeing regular covid screening these days?

M1
M1 Member Posts: 6,722
1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

I was supposed to try a visit today with friends--both over sixty, one of them with a bad heart condition.  Got an email yesterday that my partner was "not feeling well" over the weekend, and her nephew talked to her yesterday and said she sounded pretty rough on the phone.  No one has mentioned a covid test--I brought it up to two people this morning, seems to me it needs to be done before we try to visit.   I don't think they have a regular testing protoctol in place right now--and my question is for those of you with LO's in MC, are you seeing anyone doing regular testing right now?  Cases are on the rise (positivity rate in our state is up to 16%) and it seems to me that there should be a mechanism..... 

So now I suspect our visit won't happen.  None of the residents up there wear masks, and their visitation policies have been pretty loose.

Comments

• Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,444
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions

I have used 4 tests in the last month

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

I can certainly understand your concern.  One can call and ask. Would be interesting to hear what they have to say.  Out here in SoCal, it seems since it is not a mandate, it is facility specific in how the screening is approached.  One friend who visits her mother in a NH twice a week is tested each time she visits before she can enter the facility as are all visitors.  Must be costly to the facility for all those test kits, but she feels it is safer for her mother and other patients.

J.

• M1

She tested negative with a rapid test, for what that's worth.  Interesting to me that I had to ask for it though.  Not surprising, given our state, but it does give me pause. 

I think her getting infected in a facility is probably inevitable.  We'll see.  So the visit is on, but I'm still going to wear a mask/sit outside.

• JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes

DH has been in his MC 3 months tomorrow. He had a test when he moved in, and that's the only one I know about up until 2 weeks ago. A weekend nurse, who was only in his area for about 4 hours on a Saturday night, tested positive the next day. All residents were given a rapid test that next day (I happened to be there when he was tested) and a week after exposure. Luckily no one tested positive. The facility called me that same day to let me know about the positive nurse and the testing they'd be doing. 

There are no requirement regarding testing to visit. I've tested twice in the last 3 months on my own because of allergy symptoms that make me suspicious, but I've been negative. Visitors are required to wear masks, residents do not. Can you imagine trying to keep masks on everyone in memory care??? What a nightmare.

• Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Visitors to DH's MCF are screened upon arrival (temp taken, recorded, questionnaire).  Masks are required for all but residents.  If a caregiver reports as positive, residents are tested and families are alerted.  The MCF is small and outbreaks have been few and none for quite awhile.  Residents are not tested regularly anymore.  

M1, I was sorry to read of your unpleasant visit with your DH today.  I was hoping, with time, she would come around and welcome your company.  She is clearly still cognizant enough to know how to push your buttons.  One can only hope that she will figure out that if she continues to be recalcitrant, she could lose you altogether.  Give her time.  It's encouraging that in your absence, she is well behaved and not entirely miserable.  I wish it were easier for you.  Sadly, and more than likely, with progression, she will no longer target you.  You will become a calming presence.  

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    My wife was tested twice while she was in the hospital. First rapid test was positive. Second test that went to the lab was negative. MC visitors must fill out a question form, and have their temperature recorded each time they visit. Masks must be worn by visitors as well as residents. But you always see some residents with the mask down around their necks. Most residents are wearing them kind of properly. I don't think it's even possible to have all of them wear them as they should. I'm not sure what their policy is on resident testing.
  • Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    At my DWs MC they test residents and staff twice a week and require all visitors and staff to wear mask.
  • M1
    there's no visitor screening in place where my partner is, and no enforced mask policy that I can tell- most employees have one on the down around their chin. They are starting a new support group next week, I will be looking to see how to bring this up. They are asking for trouble I think based on what I've seen. But no one in the entire state seems to care.
  • GothicGremlin
    GothicGremlin Member Posts: 842
    Fifth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

I hesitate to post this, but ...

My sister's MC (in CA) has some pretty stringent covid requirements -- all staff and visitors are to be masked at all times while inside. In order to get inside the building, we have to have a photo of our vaccination cards on file. Each time we visit the cards are checked, and then we have our temperatures taken. If you haven't been vaccinated, you can only have an outside visit, and even then you have to have been recently tested and shown to be negative.

Staff and residents are tested once a week.

When I've been there I'm always masked and so is everyone else - except in MC. Once you get inside MC, staff is masked, but the residents aren't. Peggy, my sister, is never masked.  She thinks she is though. She swears up and down that she always wears her mask. Truth is, I've never seen her wear a mask inside MC.

A week and a half ago, she tested positive for covid. She's had mild symptoms (she's vaxxed and boosted), and she sounded good today. Obviously I can't see her in person, they're all locked down right now. 11 out of 19 of the MC residents have tested positive in the last two weeks.  Man.

Even the best laid plans, I guess.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,364
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

M1-

I don't currently have a LO in a care facility, but my mom attends an IRL support group that meets in a large religiously affiliated (Quaker) CCRC. On entering the campus, visitors are screened using a computer check-in questionnaire and temperature check. Mom doesn't drive, has vision issues and isn't great with new technology, so I get her logged in there. KN-95, N-95 or a procedure mask must be worn on campus; I have observed all staff wearing masks- even outdoors between buildings. The few residents I have seen- mostly IL and AL folks going to and from activities- have also been masked. I don't know about routine screening or mask usage in their SNF, MCU or their in-house hospice. 

HB

• David J
    David J Member Posts: 479
    100 Comments Third Anniversary

Staff and residents are tested weekly. A positive for a staff member requires time off until all symptoms are gone, plus a negative test. Residents with a positive test are isolated in their suite until symptoms cease and test is negative. 

All staff and visitors are required to wear a mask. Residents do not wear masks. Visitors and staff fill out a covid symptom and exposure questionnaire upon entering the facility, and have their temperature recorded. 

Mask enforcement is a little lax, and if I take my wife off the property, there is no mask requirement. 

• M1
    I'm not surprised at what I'm seeing here---nothing is being enforced in our state currently and i find it appalling.... And I'm sure we're going to pay for it eventually.  I am definitely going to bring it up at the "support group" that's starting next week--don't know if it'll make the agenda for a first meeting, but I'll try.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more