Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Seeing the slow pattern of decline.

For a couple of months my dw started asking if we were married. It started slow,once or twice in one week and then a little break, now it's getting more frequent. It has kinda changed as well, now she says I  am not used to my married name, it's still kinda new, and that is becoming more frequent. 

Yesterday about 5  dw saw the hospital bracelet I had cut off her. She looked at it and said , I can't believe they spelled it correctly, I said what's that,she said the last name, she said I am still getting used to it but I know how to spell it. I just told her they asked me, so I spelled it out for them.

I had read about the progression of incontinence, it starts once or twice a week and then daily ect. The losses seem to mirror that pattern in Alzheimers, she has some of the losses in other stages right now, but just not very frequent. I really try to pay attention to the losses .But I keep her focused on what she can still do.  Hoping to hear from the MD about the cat scan results today.

Comments

• JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes

I think it's sweet that your DW thinks she's a newlywed. 

It sounds similar to how DH forgot we were married. He went from asking me randomly then more often if we were married. Then he'd ask me to marry him, and if I told him we were already married he'd be happy. Then he'd ask me to marry him, but not have any concept that we were already married and get upset that he couldn't remember the wedding. I changed my answer to "Yes, we're already planning the wedding." Then he asked any of his caregivers to marry him. Now he just tells me that I'm beautiful. Along with any other woman who is nearby.  

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Ah JW that sounds so  sweet. I guess we just go with the flow and try to see which way that is today. Thanks for sharing

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more