Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Delusions(4)

My DH has been on one subject for the last week. He is going to buy a new SUV so he can leave when he feels like it. He sits out side talking to himself using bad language, calling one of our sons all kinds of names. He thinks he “stole” our old car from the garage. Truth is we gave it to him. He just keeps this up and says if I don’t like it then he will leave. Dr. prescribed a med for delusions but no results yet. I am at my wits end! I was better off when he slept all the time.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Bootzie, welcome to the forum. Sorry you have a use for it, but it is a good one. Sorry you're having such a tough time now. Hopefully the meds will kick in for him, and the delusions will lessen. Anytime you have something on your mind, post about it. You'll get a lot of good support and understanding here.
  • jmlarue
    jmlarue Member Posts: 511
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes
    I sure hope the doctor can find a medication solution to this issue. If you do find something that works, I beg you to come back and post about it. My DH has subjected me to at least one daily full-blown rant about not driving and the loss of his truck (he actually gave to our son but doesn't remember) for the past 2 years. That doesn't include the half-dozen or so snarky comments I am largely able to ignore. When I first took the keys away, the angry rants were relentless - like every hour on the hour for months on end. His Geri-Psych finally prescribed Prazosin (off-label use for dementia agitation). It has tamped down the behavior, but not eliminated it. It's interesting how DH's speech has devolved into non-sequiturs and word salad, but the ability to swear rings loud and clear.
  • Bootzie
    Bootzie Member Posts: 7
    First Comment First Anniversary

Sounds like we have a lot in common. Thanks, it is at least good to know I’m not alone with my problem.

Wondering how long it has taken for meds to take affect with various people.

• Bootzie

I have just been told by DH that he’s not hungry…..again. He keeps eating trail bars but when I fix a meal, he’s not interested. So I hid the bars, am having his favorite food and he says No.

Do any of you have this problem? Should I allow him to eat the trail bars just so he has some nourishment, no matter how poor. I’m needing advice.

• Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    Bootzie, I believe no food is healthy until someone eats it.  I give my wife what she will eat and add multivitamins to her daily medications.  I do things like mix blueberries into her ice cream about once a week and she eats "your darn* blueberries" with the ice cream, but I mostly give her what she likes.
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Bootzie, hi. I have given up trying to get dh to eat. Things he used to love, he will no longer eat. Fruits and vegetables were among favorites. Now frozen yogurt is main “food “. He would never drink sodas, now he drinks 2 to 3 coke’s a day. If I can get him to eat even part of something healthy I’m okay with that. I see no reason to deny him what makes him happy for now. Personally what difference is it going to make in the future, he has no further !
  • Bootzie
    Thanks Stuck in the middle. That makes sense. I have started buying the protein ones so they are a little better but he will just keep eating them until they are gone. But I’ll keep trying to find some that are better for him.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more