Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Another year

Beachfan
Beachfan Member Posts: 790
Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Today is our 54th wedding anniversary.  A lot of time and memories have passed since the day I “fed” DH wedding cake until today when I fed him apple cobbler dessert at his MCF.  Our carefully crafted plans began unraveling about 12 years ago and there’s no sense looking back.  I don’t regret a minute spent with him; he was a keeper from day one. 

I am not one  to wallow or live in the past, but in honor of my best friend, I played Carole King’s “Now and Forever” and had a momentary ugly cry all by myself.  Now  I will blow my nose, dry my eyes, put on a happy face and wander up the driveway for a cocktail on the porch with the kids in honor of pop and 54 years of good times.

I miss the tears, I miss the laughterI miss the day we met and all that followed after……..

Comments

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Congratulations and very well spoken. And apple cobbler, gotta ask was there ice cream involved?
  • Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,678
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Happy Anniversary Beachfan.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Beachfan, somehow "Happy Anniversary" just doesn't sound like the right thing to say, under the circumstances. So I'll just say that I hope you can wrap yourself in all the good times you've had, and try to enjoy the memories.
  • ladyzetta
    ladyzetta Member Posts: 1,028
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Dear Beachfan.

Happy Anniversary and thank you for sharing your memories with us.  Enjoy your cocktail with the kids. Hugs Zetta 

• Gig Harbor
    Gig Harbor Member Posts: 564
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    Celebrate with your kids because if not for him there would be no them!
  • Lills
    Lills Member Posts: 156
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Care Reactions

Glad you have your happy memories of the 50+ years together.  (As I do with my 46 years with my DH!)  

The song "Now and Forever" by Carole King is one of my all-time favorite songs.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,015
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions
    Beach fan, you’ve had many more good years than bad, so Happy Anniversary.
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,722
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Oh Beachfan, happy anniversary for sure. Cheers for auld lang syne.
  • Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    We totally get that anniversaries are bittersweet.  How wonderful, however, to look back without regret.  A keeper, indeed.
  • billS
    billS Member Posts: 180
    Third Anniversary 100 Comments
    Oh Beachfan, darn you for posting this! I searched for Now and Forever on YouTube, found it and as Carole King began to sing I was overcome with a flood of tears and sobbing. I totally understand your tears and am so sorry for what happened to your best friend. I am afraid to listen again, but know that I must just to process the reality of what has happened to my best friend. Thank you for sharing and be well.
  • JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes

54 years. That's a lot of time for some great memories. 

Happy Anniversary

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    Dear Beachfan - It sounds like you two created a love that has lasted a lifetime. Not many can say that. I am glad you have so many beautiful memories of your best guy and that you are surrounded by the people your long union gave life to. I know what Ed means -such a bittersweet walk we caregivers are walking. Happy Anniversary anyhow.
  • Vitruvius
    Vitruvius Member Posts: 323
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

You don't say specifically but I gather from your other posts that your DH had no idea it was your anniversary and may not have even known who you are. 

Our 48th is coming up soon and DW has not even understood the concept of an anniversary for several years let alone that ours came and went.  She is mostly unaware that I am her husband although she clearly treats me lovingly, odd that. But like you I remember for both of us and treat her special on that day. 

• Buggsroo
    Buggsroo Member Posts: 573
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Beachfan,

That is so poignant. I have been married for 31 years, it was 28 years that it was really good, now I am a caregiver. I feel for you, but as the other people have said, hold onto those good memories. Sending you a hug.

• LilySue
    LilySue Member Posts: 37
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    Happy anniversary! Our 55th is coming up on the 25th of this month and I, like you, will be remembering for both of us. The last one we celebrated together was ten years ago before the stroke that ended all meaningful cognition.  I'll probably go to dinner with our kids while DH is home with the live-in caregivers. Not what we'd imagined in 1967.
  • Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Beachfan, Thank you for sharing your bittersweet day. Cherish those happy years, 54 years is certainly a milestone to admire.
  • mrl
    mrl Member Posts: 166
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes

Well done good and faithful servant.....bless you both. Now and forever makes me a puddle,

Michele

• Pam BH
    Pam BH Member Posts: 195
    100 Comments Second Anniversary
    Beachfan, what a lovely response you had to a bittersweet day cherishing the memories and being with your DH and then your children. You really made lemonade out of the lemons dementia gives us. Thanks for the inspiration to change my thoughts about hard situations.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more