Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Heart Monitor?

Hi.  DH is a healthy 78 year old, stage 6, not yet incontinent.  He has always had a slow heart rate and has done Holter heart monitoring twice in the distant  past with no issues found.  Two weeks ago he had a fainting episode probably due to painful stomach cramps and straining (constipation).  Went to ER, no problems found, but his heart rate on admission was lower than usual.  PCP is now suggesting a two week heart monitor.  I am concerned that a pace maker may be recommended.  He doesn't show any signs of light headedness, but in the past several months has been sleeping more and slowed down on our walks, which I put down to disease progression.

I am interested to hear how others have managed the "to treat or not to treat" dilemma.  DH is very healthy, no chronic diseases, will probably suffer through stage seven.  He has an advanced directive which in general says no intervention.  Thanks for any thoughts on the subject.

Comments

• Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

I think I would follow his wishes as stated in the advance directive, and decline the monitor.  Even absent the advance directive, I think I would rather die in my sleep from cardiomyopathy than die from AD.  Stage 7 is pretty ugly.

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Sweetiepie  I can't offer any experience, we are not as far along. My dw is 68 and she has what I consider a slo heart rate. 49 and sometimes a little lower. She isn't taking any med. She also is as healthy as a horse. Still waiting for an official dx. I am struggling whether or not to have her take BP medicine because it can possibly prolong her life. But what will those 2 years be for her? She talks about suicide all the time that's why I finally got her to a doctor so she can get something for that. this is such a difficult decision. I'll listen to what the others have to say.
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,722
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

I would agree with Stuck and decline the monitor.  Death from a cardiac arrhythmia is not a bad way to go.  You have a good explanation for the fainting episode, I would not seek another one.  I've been in situations where a pacemaker had to be turned off to let someone die and they are not pretty.

I'll gently challenge you a little bit in your thinking--he's not really as healthy as you think.  He has a terminal illness.  He has an advanced directive.  He's told you what he wants.  I would honor it.  

• Battlebuddy
    Battlebuddy Member Posts: 331
    100 Comments Third Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Most advanced directives say no extraordinary measures to prolong life. In my opinion, a pacemaker would fall into that category.  

Stage 7 is not a fun stage. A quick heart attack would be a blessing. 

People with Dementia have episodes of Syncope . Maybe it’s just that? 

Honor the advanced directive . 

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more