Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

An unexpected tribute

Beachfan
Beachfan Member Posts: 790
Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

My daughter received the following message from a former classmate yesterday:

Hello Beth. I'm sure you remember me. LOL. I just wanted to let you know I saw the post from the S.C.C.A. about the PAHS baseball team performing work in tribute to your Dad.  I was quite moved to just see his name.  I haven't seen him in years and only heard whispers of his being sick.  It saddens me because when your Dad plucked me out of the bad road I was on in my freshman year at PAHS and placed me in his guidance as student team manager, I didn't realize just how much he did for me and continued to do for me through my high school years.  He may have potentially saved my life by putting me on the straight and narrow.   While I wasn't a ballplayer, I was treated with dignity and respect by most, if not all of them.  That meant so much to me.  Coach always had time for a talk and always offered me sound advice on anything and everything.  I have two sons of my own, both high school aged, a sophomore and a senior and they are both outstanding and well-mannered young men.  I'd like to think that some of what I learned from your Dad as a student my have reflected on me as a parent.  I am eternally grateful.  I do understand Alzheimer's is a horrible disease and I don't know the level at which he has progressed, but if you would do me the great honor of letting him (and your mom) know that I will always hold a special place in my heart for him and the way he took me under his wing, I would be forever indebted to you.  I tried to look your brother, Michael, up on Facebook, but had no luck.  I sure hope he is doing well, wherever he is.  Please accept my well wishes for your Dad.  He is one of the greatest men I've ever know in this life and I'll always hold him dear to my heart.  God bless.

There is nothing more to add...... this made my day and lightened my heart.  Just wanted to share a brighter moment.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    WOW! I guess that did make your day. What a heartfelt tribute to a great guy. I'm sure you'll treasure that for the rest of your life. And I'm also sure she didn't know how many hearts of others that writing touched, who didn't even know him or her.
  • ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Beachfan - Wow, what a beautiful tribute! Your DH was truly a keeper as you said, and we also know that for a coach to handle a 24/7 job so well like he did...it requires a life partner to support and pick up everything else. So, congratulations to you both! There are countless other former students out there with similar stories, you just know that's a fact. What a blessing to hear from this one, and during this precious anniversary week!

Thank you for sharing this. 

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,722
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    That's absolutely lovely Beachfan--so glad you posted it....
  • Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Thank you for sharing, Beachfan.  What a great tribute. We need positive strokes!

Iris

• June45
    June45 Member Posts: 365
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions
    Priceless!
  • Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    What a special man you married, Beachfan.  Beautiful tribute.
  • JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    That was a beautiful letter, and speaks to what an amazing person your DH is. I am so glad you shared this with us.
  • Buggsroo
    Buggsroo Member Posts: 573
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Beachfan,

What a lovely tribute to your husband. Sometimes it is really nice to see our loved one through other people’s eyes. 

• LilySue
    LilySue Member Posts: 37
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    You must be bursting with pride at the legacy your husband leaves! What a beautiful gift this letter is to your family.
  • Pam BH
    Pam BH Member Posts: 195
    100 Comments Second Anniversary
    What a wonderful surprise. It's always nice when others see our loved ones the way we do. What a nice man you married!
  • Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Indeed a tribute and very thoughtful of this women to reach out to your family.
  • David J
    David J Member Posts: 479
    100 Comments Third Anniversary
    Beachfan, how nice of his former student to reach out. I imagine every teacher hoping to kake a difference like your husband did.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more